New Features of Version 2.0

Gape

Tarun says it's better to have an empty or non-existent vmm32? I don't agree with that.  Read the posts by HSI and Gape here about vmm32:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=32526&st=0

Could you direct me to where I said that? As I do not recall saying that, unless it was from an old post dating back to much earlier this year.

"a fast and free mp3 extension.... really good should pehaps included"

Watch out, it has a GNU public license. This can cause big headaches and is definitely not "free".

For example, it means I have the right to make a modified version of them mp3 extension, and Gape must provide me with some SP source so I can distribute my own SP with the modified mp3 extension. Otherwise Gape is violating my rights.

But if you do include it please make it optional, its nonstandard and e.g. some of like oggs not mp3 files.

Watch out, it has a GNU public license. This can cause big headaches and is definitely not "free".

For example, it means I have the right to make a modified version of them mp3 extension, and Gape must provide me with some SP source so I can distribute my own SP with the modified mp3 extension. Otherwise Gape is violating my rights.

But if you do include it please make it optional, its nonstandard and e.g. some of like oggs not mp3 files.

It is a good tool, but as I said, generally I don't like to add any 3rd party tool into the SP. If I add a 3rd party tool, it must be useful for most of users. So, this tool is not suitable for the SP.

Never mind Tarun. I may have misunderstood your point. Bottom line is

MSDOS 8 was written specifically for Windows ME and attempting to use

the MSDOS 8 files under a non-WinME system like Win98 can cause more

problems. MS-DOS included in all versions of Win98 is 7.1 and runs well.

Like I said before, I never had any problems with the vmm32.vxd file

and if that file goes bad just re-install Windows.

NO, soldier1st. Only time if the vmm32.vxd file causes problems is if it

is corrupted by a computer virus, PC crash or a hard drive malfunction

or when trying to fix the HD problems & the vmm32.vxd file with Scandisk

in DOS mode when Windows is not running.

What file did you put, soldier1st? You're NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT!

It can break your system. You may as well reformat the HD and start

over from scratch. What version of Windows are you actually using?

Just forget about DOS 8 as it is a part of WinME and can never be used

under Win95 or Win98.

tarun posted a vmm32 file that i dled n put it where it was sposed to figuring it would help make windows 98 se faster,i run windows 98 se,windows xp+sp1&SP2,Windows 2000+SP3 then after i installed it it wanted msdos 8 then i reformatted so i deleted that file i dled

maybe add some tweaks from this site:http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/winmetip.html

i know it says for windows me but some of these can be used on windows 98 se

i applied some and they make windows 98 boot faster by not loading some stuff assuming you don't use them the drivespace &compression utilities

Hey, since there is all this talk of vmm32.vxd I should mention I built one last night using the wininit.ini to combine the vxd's. On bootup it said something like "vmm32.tmp integrity check failed, restoring" and then started Windows normally. I renamed vmm32.tmp to vmm32.vxd and deleted all of the vxd's that were combined from the system32 directory, and on rebooting it worked fine without complaint despite the initial "integrity check failed" whining.

I tried the new vmm32.vxd compressed as well as non-compressed (2+ MB). I never noticed any difference in bootup speed or resource usage, but I didn't measure it either. I have backups if you guys can recommend a method for measuring these things so I can try all methods (original + seperate vxds, combined compressed and combined uncompressed).

I was using vxdlib.exe (vxdlib.zip from Axcel216's site) and it seems like a nice tool. It should be very easy to write a program that uses vxdlib.exe to build vmm32.vxd, so you do not have to depend on wininit.ini.

I tried the new vmm32.vxd compressed as well as non-compressed (2+ MB). I never noticed any difference in bootup speed or resource usage, but I didn't measure it either. I have backups if you guys can recommend a method for measuring these things so I can try all methods (original + seperate vxds, combined compressed and combined uncompressed).

azagahl,

Could you test your system with compressed and non-compressed VMM32.VXDs? You can use a simple benchmark program such as PCPlayer 3D Benchmark or WinTune98.

For testing bootup speed, you can use a chronograph ;)