ad-aware silent install

jorsak

Since so many have been helpful to me, I wanted to give back what I could to the community.

After installing ad-aware, the help file and update automatically run. I could not find anywhere the switches to disable these, so I managed a work around. If this can save someone else time, wonderfull!.

First, download the utility pskill (freeware) from the following:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pskill.shtml

Then put the pskill.exe in whatever folder you are running your install from (for me it was the "TCGDiagnosticsApps" folder.

The commands look like this:

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\TCGDiagnosticsApps\aawsepersonal.exe /SILENT

start /wait %systemdrive%\TCGDiagnosticsApps\pskill.exe hh.exe

start /wait %systemdrive%\TCGDiagnosticsApps\pskill.exe ad-aware.exe

The end result is a completely silent install of ad-aware. Hope this helps someone.

:-)

Exactly!

I also needed something a little more generically viable since I will be using this in many environment as part of an install process for a bunch of different diagnostics apps.

PSKill works on NT3.5, NT4.0, 2K, and all flavors of XP. Which, in my humble, and very limited knowledge, is a better situation than Taskkill allows for.

But thanks for the script info for task

Found a new (freeware) Process killing application that is compatible with: Win9X, WinME, NT, 2000 and XP. It's called Procrecon. It can be found at:

http://www.webchitect.com/ProcRecon/download.html

Using it, the above example of ad-aware's help menu and application termination afte r asilent install would like like:

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\X\aawsepersonal.exe /SILENT

start /wait %systemdrive%\X\ProcRecon.exe /t "Ad-Aware SE Personal"

start /wait %systemdrive%\X\ProcRecon.exe /t "Ad-Aware SE Personal edition"

X = the location of your install script.

Guys, do you happen to know how to default the Ad-aware program to NOT automatically run the helpfile, update, and system scan after install?

I'm using my program/script to kill these apps after the install but it's a pain and creates extra work that shouldn't have to be there.

IF anyone knows a way to have them turned off by default that would be a GREAT help.