cancer10

Voice out ur opinion  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Voice out ur opinion

• Yes
    • No
    • Can't Say

Yes and no.

Yes in that (as some others have said) it gives me a chance to test out the program. Some trial versions that companies release are feature-locked so that you can't gain access to everything. With a pirated copy, you can use the whole program in full.

BUT

If I find that I actually have a use for the program, I buy it. I've got a fully licenced copy of XP Pro on my computer because I make use of the extra features that it has over Home. Same goes for other software.

I've also downloaded the original Star Wars trilogy so I can watch it on my laptop on the road, but I own the widescreen DVD box set as well... so I don't think that there's anything wrong with this. I could have ripped the DVDs myself, but it's easier for me to download the movies.

In the end, not paying for something that you use is wrong.

i am all in for piracy until they reduce the prices for the original stuff significantly...

Stupid argument for piracy.

Do you work? Do you appreciate it when others steal your work?

If you don't like the prices, don't buy the product. Porsches are too expensive for me - but I don't steal them.

prices are way to high for cd's, dvd's, software, blablabla

come on, I as a student don't have the mony to pay for games that cost 60 bucks :no:

And most of the software I have that is genuine, I got it free through university thing (check out ma3d.com)

Well lets see what happened when I paid for software. Lets take when I bought windows xp home, I reinstalled it a lot (b/c i like to test alot of software) until I found disk imaging and every time i had to reactivate windows. The problem is it only lets you do it so many times per time period, otherwise you must call them up and have them read this 100 char thing over the phone :angry: no thank you. thats when i got a corporate pro copy from a friend and i even got to bring the org disc home with all the holograms and what not. now think about this, i originally paid for my copy of windows but Micro$ofts greediness caused me to use a "pirate copy" even though I paid 100 dollars to that D*mn company i still was treated like a convict. Most other companies deserve money for their software and I feel bad that I’m in no position to pay them. As for music and movies I have no sympathy for the riaa and the mpaa. use legal music download services? right like I want to pay a dollar per drm compressed song. O and I suppose I would want to pay 8 dollars to see a movie or pay 15-20 dollars to get the dvd. the one thing I remember that p**ses me off the most is I bought halflife 2. it is still a great game but steam blows, I also know a friend who’s legal hl2 copy doesn’t even activate b/c of problems with steam. lastly I would like to close with a link to a very interesting article written by a software developer on piracy.

Its quite alot to think about at once :huh:

Article on Piracy

-software is like sex, its better when its free-

piracy has been going on for so so so long now, ever since they came out with casset tape recorders there has been piracy but no one really cared then, all piracy really is is people sharing/copying files just like how people did with music back then and still do now

Well lets see what happened when I paid for software. Lets take when I bought windows xp home, I reinstalled it a lot (b/c i like to test alot of software) until I found disk imaging and every time i had to reactivate windows.  The problem is it only lets you do it so many times per time period, otherwise you must call them up and have them read this 100 char thing over the phone :angry: no thank you. thats when i got a corporate pro copy from a friend and i even got to bring the org disc home with all the holograms and what not. now think about this, i originally paid for my copy of windows but Micro$ofts greediness caused me to use a "pirate copy" even though I paid 100 dollars to that D*mn company i still was treated like a convict. Most other companies deserve money for their software and I feel bad that I’m in no position to pay them.  As for music and movies I have no sympathy for the riaa and the mpaa. use legal music download services? right like I want to pay a dollar per drm compressed song. O and I suppose I would want to pay 8 dollars to see a movie or pay 15-20 dollars to get the dvd. the one thing I remember that p**ses me off the most is I bought halflife 2. it is still a great game but steam blows, I also know a friend who’s legal hl2 copy doesn’t even activate b/c of problems with steam. lastly I would like to close with a link to a very interesting article written by a software developer on piracy.

Its quite alot to think about at once :huh:

Article on Piracy

-software is like sex, its better when its free-

Well, you can't justify using a corporate version of XP Pro when you purchased XP Home. There are ways to put your activation files on your CD so you have no excuse. It doesn't upset me so much that people do pirate software... becuase let's face it, no everyone can afford to buy everything, but it does upset me when someone attempts to justify that it's right because they couldn't afford it. The next time you complain about cost then figure out how much the product costs and then how much you use it and then divide cost by use and you will get your cost per use for that software. If you use it so infrequently that it's not cost affective then I guarantee you can find a replacement. For Photoshop why not try Paint.net (I think that's what it's called) Also for the one who said he's a student and can't afford to buy a $60 game. You have access to low cost software through your school so your cost for Windows, Office and just about anything else is next to nothing. I have no simpathy for you unable to purchase a game. Do you work?

Oh, and the article you posted... it sounds like a 16 year old wrote it.

Hmmm, I must say I am FOR piracy...

I would never use pirated products for commercial use, but it is something different for home use.

Someone on conference spoke about creating new kind of competition for companies. Piracy created competition for company, so they must keep their prizes low, if they want to get customers.

In fact you can see this on New Zealand - it is country with lowest piracy rating, but highest prizes for software...

Another example is eastern europeans regions, asia or india, where is high rating of piracy - you can see that companies give them low prizes.

So what I wanted to say is "invisible hand of market" is acting here, too. You MUST have piracy for software to evolve and spread.

Hmmm, I must say I am FOR piracy...

I would never use pirated products for commercial use, but it is something different for home use.

Someone on conference spoke about creating new kind of competition for companies. Piracy created competition for company, so they must keep their prizes low, if they want to get customers.

In fact you can see this on New Zealand - it is country with lowest piracy rating, but highest prizes for software...

Another example is eastern europeans regions, asia or india, where is high rating of piracy - you can see that companies give them low prizes.

So what I wanted to say is "invisible hand of market" is acting here, too. You MUST have piracy for software to evolve and spread.

Interesting point.

I can say from a personal viewpoint that the value of the things you own changes as you grow older (I'm 20 now). A few years ago, everything software-wise that I used was pirated. Since it was free, great. But now that I'm starting to earn my way through life, and I've come to realize how hard it is to make the money that I need to keep a roof over my head and food on my table (I have enough clothes to last me a while... :P) I come to appreciate the work that those people who develop the software I use and appreciate the time and effort that they've put in so that they can provide for their families.

I guess you could ultimately turn this into a question about personality. Are you the kind of person who cares more about yourself or more for others? If you only care about yourself, then you'd probably pirate more often than not. If you care about others, then you'd never pirate. Of course, there is a fairly large grey zone there, into which I fall somewhere. Like I said previously, I use pirated software to test it out and if I find enough of a use for it, I'll pay for it to support the people who wrote the code.

• 3 weeks later...

I will not belive in anyone, who is a home user, that he/she does not have a single byte of pirate software/music/videos on their computer.

Here in Portugal a Windows XP bought at FNAC costs 330€, and its home edition, and 490€ for the professional edition. I know no cases of anyone who actually bought Windows XP or any other type of software, I definitly agree with piracy for home use, if we look at it closely everything is piracy even taping the news from TV.

Even though I agree with piracy for home use, I certainly don't agree with it for commercial/enterprise use, a company can very well spend a obscene amount of money in software, where a 16 year old with no income can't. A 16 year old who wants to buy Windows XP for example, here he would have to spend around 330€ or if he would order it online then he could find it for USD 90, and a 16 year old who would live in Malasia would have a cheap version of Windows XP+Office 2003 for USD 60. If Microsoft can afford to "lose" money to the domestic market in Asia why can't they do the same in the rest of the world? A friend of mine who went to Macau (China) said he saw games, oringal not pirated, which here are sold for 60€ and in Macau for 9,99€

Piracy is the only way for a domestic user to have software like Photoshop CS, which I'd like to know how many of you actually bought it.

Another level of piracy is when it comes to music CDs or DVDs, I don't buy music CDs, I would if they didn't cost 29,99€, and I would buy a DVD if it didn't cost 39,99€ (doesn't matter what DVD it is, it will be around that price). But I also don't download DVD's from the internet, I will rent them and rip them, in a way I paid for them.

Don't come with things about how I should really pay for it, Portugal is not a third world country, but the minimum wage isn't 1200€, its 375€ (hardly enough to survive!!!) and a person shouldn't be obligated to buy a piece of software that will cost her 90€ to boot her computer, while it only cost less than 50€ to the company to manufactur it!

I will not belive in anyone, who is a home user, that he/she does not have a single byte of pirate software/music/videos on their computer.

Here in Portugal a Windows XP bought at FNAC costs 330€, and its home edition, and 490€ for the professional edition. I know no cases of anyone who actually bought Windows XP or any other type of software, I definitly agree with piracy for home use, if we look at it closely everything is piracy even taping the news from TV.

Even though I agree with piracy for home use, I certainly don't agree with it for commercial/enterprise use, a company can very well spend a obscene amount of money in software, where a 16 year old with no income can't. A 16 year old who wants to buy Windows XP for example, here he would have to spend around 330€ or if he would order it online then he could find it for USD 90, and a 16 year old who would live in Malasia would have a cheap version of Windows XP+Office 2003 for USD 60. If Microsoft can afford to "lose" money to the domestic market in Asia why can't they do the same in the rest of the world? A friend of mine who went to Macau (China) said he saw games, oringal not pirated, which here are sold for 60€ and in Macau for 9,99€

Piracy is the only way for a domestic user to have software like Photoshop CS, which I'd like to know how many of you actually bought it.

Another level of piracy is when it comes to music CDs or DVDs, I don't buy music CDs, I would if they didn't cost 29,99€, and I would buy a DVD if it didn't cost 39,99€ (doesn't matter what DVD it is, it will be around that price). But I also don't download DVD's from the internet, I will rent them and rip them, in a way I paid for them.

Don't come with things about how I should really pay for it, Portugal is not a third world country, but the minimum wage isn't 1200€,  its 375€ (hardly enough to survive!!!) and a person shouldn't be obligated to buy a piece of software that will cost her 90€ to boot her computer, while it only cost less than 50€ to the company to manufactur it!

Your not "obilgated" to buy windows....You can use linux/unix but you would have to learn how to use that software just like "learning" windows.

Its a gray line but I agree that sometimes people do need to pirate software to try it and make sure it suit your needs then buy if it does.

The laziness of I can't afford is not an excuse to pirate the software there though use alternative software that does the samething, catch is most people are too lazy to learn a "new" piece of software. If kinda the car example that was given. You don't see me going to a restaruant and not paying my bill cause even though I love the food there I can't afford it.

As dman & others have said, I too try to maximize the use of open source/freeware app wherever I can, and for the most part, this is what I use. I also make it a point to donate when I can to those freeware authors whose softs I can't live without, such as NLite, SVC2DVD, etc.

In regards to music, I do d/l tons of it over time, but end up jettisoning most of it. I have pretty "eclectic" tastes, and am always searching for that New Sound. The 'net opens a window on the world's music to me, which is unattainable any other way. I find that many of the artists that I discover & enjoy are not available to me in my retail outlets, so it isn't always possible to buy them, but I do try, since an original CD copy will alwasy sound better than compressed music files. I find most of the online music stores too restrictive in how I can use the file I've paid for, & often offer crap quality to boot.

In regards to movies, I rent DVDs and go to the theatre when the movie I want to see is playing, but again, my tastes in film are rarely supported in my locality, so I turn to the 'net & that open window again. Movies , I feel, are a bit different for me - I do not often watch the same movie more that a few times, so unless it's A Classic, I will seldom buy retail DVDs. Just not worth the $$ for something I'll rarely view again..