Which thumb do you use for typing?

zprog

Have you ever noticed, which thumb do you use to hit the spacebar?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever noticed, which thumb do you use to hit the spacebar?

• Left Thumb
    • Right Thumb
    • Both Thumbs

I’m not sure if I use both thumbs or not so I had to type this to find out.

:w00t: Wow I only use my right thumb and thats for the space bar.

Guess I'll cut my left one off if it's not needed. :wacko:

Edited by Taggs

• 6 months later...

Both thumbs [though right-handed]. I don't type as you are "correctly" taught because my own way is quicker but I do break things down to be more economical in movement for my fingers.

rotjong

Edited by rotjong

Yeah I know exactly what you mean rotjong. I learnt my own way of typing as well. I cant type like the pros do haha. I read somewhere that dvorak style of keyboard enables you to reach your fastest typing speeds since it restricts finger travel thus you hit the keys that are used most commonly when typing a lot quicker. The curresnt style of keyboard was apparently designed to stop typists from jamming up their keyboards in the old days of mechanical typewriters.

@suryad

If you're already comfortable with present style of QWERTY typing, you'll probably find the margin of improvement under Dvorak distant and trivial. A few months of Dvorak brought me nearly to my old maximum speed. Then I began to fall back to occasional QWERTY use, and both suffered. At this rate, I imagine I'll be able to switch freely between the two with no great loss.

Not that there aren't other reasons to justify Dvorak, beyond pure performance. It reduces strain, not only by shortening the average distance between keystrokes, but by alternating them more often between each hand. I suspect it's a good layout to adopt to limit repetitive stress. Anyway, that's how I console myself over sudden transformation to all-thumbs typing. :}