MCE 2k5 on DVD

Pedae

concretely, the following steps:

1. create an ISO-image of the CD1, save it with UltraISO

2. start UltraISO again, open the image

3. insert CD2 to cd drive, open windows eplorer, select all the files/folders on cd2

4. drug and drop them to UltraISO, which with the image of CD1 (root over root)

5a. overwrite everything, save as image, burn it on a dvd, testing, if no fortune, then try step 5b instead of step 5a.

5b. no overwriting, all skip for the same file name, save as image, burn it on a dvd, testing, if no fortune, then try step 5c instead of step 5a/5b.

5c. you have to hacking the setup config files to achieve you destination, no luck for easy job, sorry.

Or,

don't do it all in UltraISO, instead copy it all to the harddrive, then follow same steps, then recreate ISO. I never Understood why people directly manipulate ISO's. THe more you do it, the more the risk of them screwing up.

don't do it all in UltraISO, instead copy it all to the harddrive, then follow same steps, then recreate ISO.
My method is the fastest way to create the final iso file, it require the least hdd & cd-drive operation.
I never Understood why people directly manipulate ISO's. THe more you do it, the more the risk of them screwing up.
My method is not only the fastest, but also the safest way. Reading the iso image of CD1, you keep all the information/structure of the bootable cd, you donnt need to care about boot sectors etc., even newbie cannot make mistakes.

but I do not have the babie(MS MCE), my suggestion is only theoretical, to show you how to integrate multipul CDs(with the first cd bootable) into a bootable DVD, and the fastest, even the safest way(at least for beginner).

htc is right, since 1st mce2005 is bootable, make an image of it with ultraiso

extract the entire contents of cd2 to its own dir and in ultraiso open the mce2005 image [ witch is bootable ] and inject/slip the folders from the 2nd cd [ that is the cmpnents dir ] to the root dir of the first cd. save it thats all. this way it keeps the original bootable image intact. i didnt have the "cd2-marker" file in the root of the cd/dvd and tested this in virtualpc and it works with out a problem....

For those who simply want MCE to fit on one disc (I know that's not the only issue that pertains to your post), you might not even need to use a DVD to get MCE onto one disc. I simply used the following method and got it down to a reasonable size, (small enough to fit on regular CD-R).

Copy the contents of both CDs to a folder on your HDD.

Navigate to \yourfolder\I386 and delete the LANG folder (you should probably only do this if you plan to use it in english), you've just cut the size down 99 Mb.

Now, navigate to \yourfolder\CMPNENTS and delete TABLETPC (you will probably never need this, and deleting this doesn't mean you can never use tablet software)

You've just cut the size another 84 Mb

Now the overall size of MCE should be down to around 650 Mb.

Make an ISO in nLite, and you've shrunken MCE down to fit on one CD. :)

@theloneiguana

the step of deleting the folders \I386\LANG, \CMPNENTS and \TABLETPC is 100% supperflous if you use the nLite tool to shrink it anyway...

In nLite you can remove such components at one stroke and reach your goal at easy. So no need for such supperflous works.

By the way, nLite is not very easy for most beginners.