(free) Alternative to WinRAR?

vondaher

hello! sure you can find a freeware tool similar to winzip and it handles a lot of archive formats, 7ZIP & RAR included.

it's called ZIP GENIUS and you can find that HERE

and here there are some SCREENSHOTS

it also contains a lot of extension and themes support. you can find several languages on that site. happy download :D

that very much depends on what u're compressing

if u're compressing a video or a music file u won't probably even recognize the difference. but documents and stuff like that can really be shrinked a lot.

also have u tried different dictionary sizes? different compression method?

To answer your question, there is no freeware/shareware alternative to create Winrars' RAR format. There are tons of tools that can decompress it.

As far as i can advise you, maybe buy it?

That may seem a bit off topic but seeing that there are no alternatives what choice do you have.

Also the compression winrar gives you can be seen making great compression on music and movie files. But zip is more suited to documents.

Sunil

• 11 months later...

When does word size matter? Default is 32, I believe. I see guides say that leave it at whatever when creating the archive. I believe on DriverPacks with Bashrat, he suggested 255 or something higher. I'm clueless about it; this was the only thread in this section I found about strictly 7zip.

Edited by matthewk