Laptop Wireless FAST / Desktop Cabled SLOW

As the title says, my Laptop wireless connection works at normal broadband speeds, while my desktop connecction, which is connected to the router with an ethernet cable is very slow indeed (must be about 0.0001k/sec :lol: )

Without going into too much detail at this point, does anyone know how this could happen? Surely it's a little abnormal for a wireless connection to work, but a cabled one to be as good as dead?

My desktop connection works fine when connected directly to the modem so I don't think it's a network card problem but maybe I'm wrong? :wacko:

The router is brand new, it arrived today and was a replacement for a defective model.

I tried switching cables but the problem still persists.

The network card angle i think its a long shot but I'm no expert. But if it was the card, how come I can connect to the net fine when the modem is directly plugged into the same network card in the desktop. Is that a feasible scenario? Could the network card function fine when plugged straight into the modem, but fail when plugged in to the router?

I had a brand new router, straigh out of the box.... did not work, I sent it back and got it replaced, doubt it would be the network card from what you have said.

I don't have any other ideas..... sorry..... :(

I've seen some non-standard Cat-5 cables shipped with certain modem, if your using the same lead to connect between the modem and PC and Router and PC try another straight through Cat-5 cable, if you have an MDI/X switch on the router try changing it. Another issue could be the value of you PC's MTU, try using Dr. TCP to change your value aroundset it below 1400, if that works try bumping it up till you lose connection.

I did try changing the MTU value before, after suggestions from Netgear support.. In the router settings page, I tried 1300, 1100, 900 - they all had no effect.

I tried with three different sets of cables and also used Dr TCP to change the RWIN value - again no change. :(

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Any more ideas, or does this look like another faulty router?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Any more ideas, or does this look like another faulty router?

Send it back and get the supplier to replace it, you don't have anything to lose except a week or so...... :P