Winnt.sif Question

When using RIS, the risstndrd.sif file has an entry under [userData] for ComputerName=%MachineName%

This automatically picks the next available name in your naming scheme and assigns it to the machine.

Wil this type of entry work for winnt.sif? If not, is there a way in the unattended CD setup to have it pick the next available name from the domain?

Thanks in advance

:)

Chudd

Thanks for the reply orson, but it doesn't generate the name in the format that we use. It generates a random name with about 12 to 15 chars. Our naming scheme is specific. :rolleyes:

Just wanted to know if there was a way to pull the name from our naming scheme like RIS does.

As I mentioned I haven't tried the %MACHINENAME% variable in the ComputerName field yet.

I will try that and post my results.

Chudd :thumbup

I don't believe this will work. Primarily because in a RIS setup, it has to contact the domain server so it can easily grab that info while doing it. In an unattended CD setup, it has no reason to contact any server so it does not think to look for a machine name outside of itself, which is designed to generate a random name. There's probably a way to set it via a reg key called from a vbs script in which you could specify the computer name to use. Not sure how you would go about this, but I'm sure it could be done.

Jito463 - Kind of what I suspected ;)

Thanks for confirming my original thoughts. I doubt that it will be worth the effort for me to investigate any further.

Thanks to all (keep up the great work - a treasure trove of info keeps rolling in) :thumbup

Chudd