Corrupt Files Arghh!

gdafc

Hi all,

My first post :thumbup

My problem is that everytime I download and attempt to install a large file usually over 100Mb sometimes smaller, I get an error message either " CRC error" Or "this file is corrupt" error or something similar. The files are not coming from one place they are all legitamate(!) some are payware programmes etc...

My system specs are as follows:

Win XP SP1 ( Have tried pre service pack 1 and SP2)

AMD Athlon 2800XP

Radeon 9800Pro

1 Gig Ram ( All budget stuff)

BT Broadband 1Mb

I am currently using Sygate firewall, have also tried Zonealarm (was told this could be the problem) AVG Antivirus also have tried Norton.

I am really pulling my hair out with this as it so annoying. Apart from this my PC appears to be running fine.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers, Garry.

If you're getting corruption of files, it could be HDD, RAM, CPU, IDE cables, IDE controller (meaning MoBo) or even weak PSU (which would cause several of those componets to act oddly). The only way to track it down is to start swapping out components until you find the bad part(s). Good luck.

Try Windows Memory Diagnostic to rule out bad RAM. It will create a floppy or extract an bootable ISO suitable for burning to CD. Since bad RAM is a big problem for Windows and probably MS tech support calls, I assume they made this one good. (see below for my personal encounters with it).

@Jito463 Yes those are very good suggestions.

To relate a story of mine. Before I had slipstreamed SP2 into the install CD, I installed it from the IT professional massive download. (My download was good however.) I knew it was a good file since I used the same file from previous CDRs on many computers.

One day I tried it on a computer that INSTALLED JUST FINE from my XPCREATed disc. Then I took a freshly made CDR of the SP2 file I mentioned above and it kept failing to get past the extraction or decompression or whatever stage is when it creates that really long ZGD123432FDDF randomly named folder. Never got to next, continue etc. It kept saying the SP2 file was corrupt. Since it was a recent SP2 burn (disc never tried, but knew the file was good), I though it was the drive in the new computer, the drive int the computer I was using for creating unattended install discs, the media, etc. It drove me nuts trying different combinations trying to troubleshoot the problem. I even copied it through a network connection.

Well that was the long of it. The short of it was BAD RAM.

With Windows Memory Diagnostic I've never (yet) had bad RAM slip by. A friend of mine had problems with a laptop and tracked it down to a recent memory upgrade. And this computer had bad memory also which (oddly enough seemed to behave properly) I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for the redundencies and checks built into the extraction process of SP2.

Try running Windows Memory Diagnostic on quick first. I've never HAD to use it in extended mode, (eventhough sometimes I do) basic or quick mode has worked just fine (which is it's default).

Jito463 & JoeMSFN

Thanks very much for the advice, one test later and one f****d memory stick! I hope that does the trick now.

One other tip I would appreciate I will now replace the RAM can I use 400 MHz PC3200 RAM with a CPU that has an FSB of 333 MHz, I intend to upgrade it to a 400 MHz soon and just thought I could start buying RAM for it now?

Thanks all who helped Garry. :thumbup