An alternative solution to this XP problem?

heymike

My friend's laptop won't start - it keeps rebooting at the XP title screen - and I'm struggling to find a solution that I can execute. I've got the wrong version of XP for making a boot cd from BartPE, and apparently making a regular XP boot cd won't do me much good... so now I'm wondering if I can install Windows 2000 on her computer without losing the files that I'm trying to rescue? I know that Win2000 offers options for a "clean install" (which wipes out everything) and then there's another option that (I think) would co-exist with whatever's already on the computer.

Am I nuts? Would this work?

My friend's computer has XP installed and it doesn't look like XP has a safe mode like 2000 does. I'm assuming I would have to install Win2000 first before using safe mode... and therein lies the question of whether or not I can safely do this on a machine that has a messed up version of XP on it...

Oh yeah - I've already tried F8 in windows XP and none of the options looked very helpful. There are no options that would allow me to alter the startup process and continue. I forget what the options were, but I know I looked at them several times.

Okay here is a solution:

- make a bootable cd on another computer. Be sure that it dosen't choose the installation drive itself. winnt.sif:

[Data]
AutoPartition=0

[Unattended]
FileSystem=*

Also add theese lines to winnt.sif

[Unattended]
TargetPath=\WINDOWS_2

Beware the windows installation path: "windows2"

- Launch the cd on the laptop and do NOT erase the partition where windows allready is installed.

- When finsihed you should be able to pick out your old documents on the drive.

I have not tried it myself with XP. But I tried it with Windows 2000 some years ago, and saved some data. However only do this as an last option, there is no guaranty, that you won't loose your data :unsure:

Let me hear if you try it and how things are working out.

B)

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not sure I fully understand it though.

Is winnt.sif a file from the XP installation cd that I have to modify before making the boot cd?

and when I change that file, should it look like this:

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

[unattended]

FileSystem=*

[unattended]

TargetPath=\WINDOWS_2

or this:

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

[unattended]

FileSystem=*

TargetPath=\WINDOWS_2

I'm not clear on what you mean by "Beware the windows installation path: "windows2" "

And "do NOT erase the partition where windows allready is installed"... will it ask me if I want to do this?

So sorry for all the questions!! I'm a total rookie. :}