BartPE questions

heymike

Is there a BartPE FAQ available? If not, I'm hoping someone can help me with a couple questions...

1. My friend's computer won't start up correctly (Win XP). The goal is to bypass the faulty startup process (computer just keeps rebooting itself at the XP title screen) and burn her files to a cd before reinstalling the OS. Is BartPE the right tool for this job? I'm told that it is, I just want to double-check on this board.

2. Is there anything important that I need to know about using BartPE or making my BartPE cd? I'm not too technically savvy so laymans terms would be appreciated.

Thank you~

Michael

Adding CD burnng support to PE can be tricky, My suggestion would be to either:

1. Use a partitioning program from inside PE to create her a partition to keep the files on.

2. Use an external hard drive, PE recognizes most USB 2 compliant devices with no issues, be it USB or Firewire <-- easiest of the two

HTH

Thanks likuid~ can I ask one more thing?

The BartPE instructions say the following:

"Just unpack the files from the PE Builder zipfile to some location you like.

Make sure you also unpack the subdirectories!"

I don't know what subdirectories they're talking about. When I unzipped BartPE there were 183 files but nothing labeled "subdirectories" and no other zip files are present.

Thank you!!

hehe... I know it may seem like I don't know how to use winzip (I do! really!!) but when I unzipped BartPE, there weren't any archives left to open. The only winzip file was the BartPE download, and within it I don't see where I could go further to unzip or unpack any subdirectories - that's what makes the instructions so confusing! There are 183 files within the BartPE download, and none of them are labeled as subdirectories.

Sorry to be such a nuisance - just trying to get my bases covered before attempting this.

thanks again everyone~

So, like I was saying... when I unpack BartPE, there doesn't appear to be anything left to unpack. Here's what I pulled out of the zip file (pebuilder3032.zip):

bart_folder_t.gif

I know what a subdirectory is, I know how to use winzip... but I absolutely do not understand why the instructions for BartPE say "Make sure you also unpack the subdirectories!" Once again, I don't see anything else to unpack or unzip... do you?

Help!! Anyone?