Serious flaw with XP slipstreamed with SP2

I've found a serious flaw with XP slipstreamed with SP2. I’m surprised that I haven't found anyone else at MSFN or elsewhere talking about this issue.

Using a CD with XP/ SP2 slipstreamed (no unattend, no hacked files in i386, etc.), upon installation I immediately run "SFC.exe /scannow". Not only does SFC find multiple files that need to be replaced, it does not find those files on the source CD.

I know what some people are thinking. Why does this nOOb just disable Windows File Protection and System File Checker (using nLite or equivalent technique) before ripping the CD?

I am worried about future stability issues with Updates and Hotfixes. I became aware of this glitch as a result of this experience which has trashed the o/s on one of my computers. Granted, that was an old install using SP2 BETA, but what assurance is there that the same could not happen with a slipstreamed SP2 FINAL installation?

I like to use my slipstreamed/ unattended CD's on multiple computers. Moreover, I find it imperative these days to leave Automatic Updates running. As an example, people who had AU running were patched against the Blaster virus before Blaster was even created.

What happens if the XP SP2 computer that was setup using a slipstreamed CD becomes corrupted after updates are installed due to conflicts between unrecognized file versions on the computer and the new code?

I know that many people on this forum use their personalized CD's on multiple computers. What happens if all these computers become corrupted at the same time!

I ask everyone reading this two things:

1) Do you know of a solution for preventing the unrecognized files that are created with SP2 slipstreamed?

2) Do you think that saving time by slipstreaming is really worth the risk considering the potential for disaster?

Any other comments are appreciated!

Stevland.

I think you botched the slipstream personally.

Fair enough comment. I created my own slipstream using the standard directions here and at eldergeek.

Also, I've downloaded several other slipstreams from bittorrent for testing purposes. All with the same result.

I will try slipstreaming again, following the directions very closley. It's such an easy process, I just can't believe that I messed up, but I'm glad that you've had success where I did not...

Okay, I'm back. I've documented everything I've done so that you guys can see that I'm not wack and hopefully suggest someone can suggest what is going wrong.

I'm using my original XP Pro CD (Build 5.1.2600.0).

Using nLite, I select only Service Pack Integration and Unattended. I then slipstream WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe.

1.gif

+

2.gif

+

3.gif

=

5.gif

?

i think you should use Windows XP SP2 Deployment Tools that is downloaded from Microsoft., because there are some bugs on nlite.

the issue ISNT with nlite, he used the standard method Before trying it with nlite

Hmm...on a whim I tried the same thing.

sfc.exe /scannow

I also get multiple prompts - but it asks for my XP Pro SP1 CD..even though this is an XP Pro SP2 installation. Is that normal? I had slipstreamed SP2 into my original XP Pro CD.

is there a way to see the files it thinks are "wrong"?

Ran

on my XPSP2 slipstream (manual method directly from non-SP1, not thru nlite), i tried running sfc /scannow... and during the process of scanning, i was prompted to insert the WinXP Pro SP2 CD. quite different from stevland's prompt. i attached a pic of the image i got.

but im still wondering, what does this all imply? i mean, i have been using this setup ever since SP2 became available. i mean, i've installed SP2 on this on a slipstreamed CD. still no problems on my part... yet. :whistle:

update: my bad (again) :blushing:. i run sfc without having the WinXP CD on the drive! anyhow, i did the same and this is what happened... (please see new attached pic)

post-70-1098607250_thumb.png

Hi stevland,

you said:

I'm using my original XP Pro CD (Build 5.1.2600.0).

Using nLite, I select only Service Pack Integration and Unattended. I then slipstream WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe.

What kind of update is KB835935-SP2_ENU.exe?

It just release notes. What do you integrated into your XP?

My sugesstion:just check one more times step by step what you're doing.

moo

is there a way to see the files it thinks are "wrong"?

Ryan,

I wish I knew of a way to do that. I've been looking around, and I can't find anything. You'd think that it would be a simple enough thing.

Can you "pipe" the output to a text file? The syntax is escaping me..something like:

sfc /scannow || missingfiles.txt

I know that's not right, but you get the idea....

Ran