files missing *ONLY* when driver CABs merged!

prathapml

dammit :/

i think, i made a mistake - i assumed, all diffent windows xp language versions use the same driver.cab - i guess this is wrong - they only use the same driver.cab in e.g. german pro, home, gold, sp1, sp2 - so there need to be another solution for rebuilding the driver.cab for any languages - i´ll research it, and post my results.

maybe there is another way to repair a corrupt .cab file.

greetings from germany

Lukefwkr

maybe a little bit off topic

- but a saw the same behaviour of xp-setup tody, when i was building a new nlited cd

the problem literally vanished into thin air when i freed up some diskspace on my c:\ drive - somehow cd-building with nlite was faulty (the entire process) when my c-drive ran out of storeage.

i also noticed missing button-descriptions in nlite (0.99.3) untill the remove-components-dialog opened.

just guessing - could framework be responsible? punishing my poor harddiskspace with this oddity?

@calios:

you need at least ~ 600 MB temporary space when nlite starts unpacking the driver.cab

i don´t think framework causes the error, since i used several framework versions from v1.0 to v1.1 SP1 with always the same problem.

@nuhi:

how exactly works the routine, when you start unpacking the DRIVER.CAB?

if it is not too much work, could you rewrite that routine, so it works like that?

1. getting a list of all files inside the .CAB

2. unpacking every single file from that .CAB using the list (not using *.*)

i think this should be the final solution for this problem.

p.s. if you want to reproduce this error, then simply edit your DRIVER.CAB with a hexeditor and modify any byte at any filepos within the first 20 MB.

Maybe expand in sp2 is defected like makecab.
Well, this problem was there in SP0 and SP1 of XP as well.

And I have one thing to add - I don't think (this topic) is a problem with only _some_ distributions of winxp. I set to work to see if that's true, and found its not so. The above problem is seen uniformly on XP home/pro/VLK in retail/OEM versions.

I haven't yet tried the newest 0.99.4 version - I'll check back here if the issue is not yet resolved with this version. Thanx for all your hard work nuhi! :thumbup

• 2 years later...

lol after 2-3 years?

Can I just say I'll get back to you in next 2 years ;)

Thing with this over the years is that it's simply corrupted CAB and when it's extracted it doesn't extract all the files. Some users could confirm it by testing the driver, sp1 and sp2 cab in Winrar (the Test button).