files missing *ONLY* when driver CABs merged!

prathapml

I got the error in text-mode, about many files not existing for copy, when I did this:

[Components]
docs
support
valueadd

Chosen merge driver cabs
chosen higher compression

I had this thing happening even before (some moths ago). Until I did this for this time, I've been simply not using any of the driver.cab merging or re-compressing options all these days - but that error has made a comeback now after choosing to do the above!

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the resulting (merged, recompressed) driver.cab is only 23.1 MB. :blink: Some files might be getting lost.

Sample of missing files:

cdaudio.sys
cinemst2.sys
cyycoins.chm
cyzcoins.chm
digiras.chm
dvdplay.exe
kodak_dc.icm
srgb.icm
streamci.dll  <--- this one is particularly fatal, my nforce audio driver wants this file
tosdvd.sys
tsbvcap.sys
tsbyuv.dll
usbcamd.sys
usbcamd2.sys
vdmindvd.sys
wowfax.dll
wowfaxui.dll

Far, *FAR* more files are absent - I just don't have enough fingers to type 70-80 file-names fast enough.

Its an action movie - it was a stormy blue text-mode screen, many files waiting to jump into the hard-disk, :lol: each time some files get copied, and every few seconds a new "Setup cannot copy the file:" notice comes up. Saying "ESC" carries on with file-copy, but another file is missing within a few seconds!

And this when I removed *NOTHING*. :( I did the standard install type - booted off the CD, no unattended, install completes fine and runs OK (atleast for 2 boot-ups). I hope I gave enough info to analyze what's happening. What am I doing wrong in the above? :}

UPDATE:

Just to be sure, did some further testing. And what do I find?

Under *EXACT* same conditions, with nothing being different, except for this:

This time, I don't choose higher compression of driver CABs. I choose only merging of driver cabs.

Same story gets repeated - lots of files missing - the *SAME* files as mentioned above. And you know what's most interesting? This time the merged driver.cab is 22.9 MB - that is smaller than it was when I chose higher compression. :blink:

The version of windows on which I'm trying all of the above:

WinXP Pro, VLK edition - manually slip-streamed to SP2 - works perfectly fine when doing anything else. :)

-----------------

Tried my normal setup now - just the irritating components removed, and unattended support.

And everything works properly this time - no problems. So now I guess the real question staring at me is - what is making it go bad when driver-CAB-merge/higher-compression is chosen?

What pages do you select ?

I just allow all pages - and skip doing anything (clicking next) in whatever pages I don't need. So, I click next in all pages, except for ticking driver CABs merging in the Options page.

And then I make the ISO (that one works flawlessly - it the CABs that somehow lose out files).

Yeah, got the same problem here - however, not with as many files as you - but the streamci.dll is enough to ruin it all since I also use nforce audio. It seems to be somewhat random, cause now and then some ISO:s leave out the mouse driver so that my mouse won't function :/

And "merge cabs" is checked and grayed out for me anyway so I always have this problem...

Well help me then...try without some pages...for start driver and hotfix integration, then unattended (doubtly).

You understand that if this is driver recompression bug then we all would experience same problem but no one does, at least 99%.

• 3 weeks later...

Due to the fact i had the same problems with several missing files like streamci.dll, srgb.cim or tosdvd.sys (and much more) i did some research.

The cause of this error is the DRIVER.CAB (!)

There seems to be a problem in the structure of the DRIVER.CAB on some distributions of Windows, and this causes an error when unpacking all files at the same time.

expand J:\I386\driver.cab -F:*.* F:\temp\DRIVER-CAB

j:\i386\driver.cab wird zu f:\temp\driver-cab\epnhte4d.dll expandiert.
j:\i386\driver.cab wird zu f:\temp\driver-cab\epnhte4g.dll expandiert.
j:\i386\driver.cab wird zu f:\temp\driver-cab\epnhte4h.dll expandiert.
j:\i386\driver.cab wird zu f:\temp\driver-cab\epnhte4i.dll expandiert.
j:\i386\driver.cab wird zu f:\temp\driver-cab\epnhte4j.dll expandiert.
j:\i386\driver.cab wird zu f:\temp\driver-cab\epnhte4k.dll expandiert.
Fehler im Format der komprimierten Eingabedatei: j:\i386\driver.cab.

1723 Dateien insgesamt

So here is my workaround:

The next step was getting all filenames inside the archive and trying to expand every single file:

expand -D J:\I386\driver.cab >C:\filelist.txt

with these infos i simply made a batch file, that looks like this:

expand J:\I386\driver.cab -F:abp480n5.sys F:\TEMP\DRIVER-CAB
expand J:\I386\driver.cab -F:aha154x.sys F:\TEMP\DRIVER-CAB
expand J:\I386\driver.cab -F:alifir.sys F:\TEMP\DRIVER-CAB
expand J:\I386\driver.cab -F:amsint.sys F:\TEMP\DRIVER-CAB
expand J:\I386\driver.cab -F:apmbatt.sys F:\TEMP\DRIVER-CAB
expand J:\I386\driver.cab -F:asc3350p.sys F:\TEMP\DRIVER-CAB
expand J:\I386\driver.cab -F:cd20xrnt.sys F:\TEMP\DRIVER-CAB
expand J:\I386\driver.cab -F:cicap.sys F:\TEMP\DRIVER-CAB
expand J:\I386\driver.cab -F:cpqdap01.sys F:\TEMP\DRIVER-CAB

and voila!

Every file got successfully expanded!!

Hope that helps you fixing this anoying error, nuhi ;)

You do a great job on nLite, congratulations!

Greetings from Germany

Lukefwkr

Edited by Lukefwkr

Well help me then...try without some pages...for start driver and hotfix integration, then unattended (doubtly).

You understand that if this is driver recompression bug then we all would experience same problem but no one does, at least 99%.

I get this very same problem, but only when I Merge/Compress the Driver Cabs.

I solved the problem by making a note of the affected files. extracting them manually from the Drive.Cab file, and then copying them straight to the i386 directory.

Just installed a copy of windows without Driver Merging, and no errors, except for Language files.

Two files, I forget their names, but I will jot them down next time, didn't copy.

Conditions were:

Windows XP Pro

SP2

Hotfixes

The two file errors occur when you install All Language Files/Conversion Tables, with the language settings set to English/United Kingdom, but I haven't yet tested this with othe languages.

After some more research i finally found the *exact* problem inside the DRIVER.CAB , that causes the decompressing error from some distri.

All Windows XP Installation CDs (Gold, SP1, SP2, any language, it doesn´t matter) use the *same* DRIVER.CAB with 76.226.545 bytes. But somehow one byte has been changed on several CD´s. This byte is located at filepos #01B94D57

Is:
01B94D50: B7 D4 87 DF 7A FA A7 ED

Must Be:
01B94D50: B7 D4 87 DF 7A FA A7 CD

Here is the checksum from the damaged file: DRIVER.CAB 3E976571

And this is the checksum from the good file: DRIVER.CAB 99EF1A0A

you can easily check with WinSFV and viewing the created .sfv file with an editor.

So the easiest way to fix the problem would be a byte-patcher.

... and guess what, i already made one  ;)

grab it here: --- erased ---

Please post, if it worked for you!

-- not true due to latest researches, thanx to megablue! more infos in the next days --

Greetings

Lukefwkr

Edited by Lukefwkr