Re-enabling Speech

hooliganism

Hi,

I'm loving this nlited version of windows i stripped down using your great program, its making everything go faster, but i was wondering if i change my mind about certain things i took off, would there be a way to re-enable them ?? right now im wanting to re-enable speech support to take the new opera on a testdrive (it reads web pages and im trying to configure the default voice of windows).. i downloaded and installed the sdk51 whatever and peaked again in the control panel but the speech shortcut was still not there. is there any way of making it work without a complete windows reinstall ?? it would be great if we could re-enable some of the things we chose to strip down in the first place.. it would make it a lot more flexible. awesome program nonetheless, i think id continue using it even i couldnt get this speech s*** to work..

appreciate any feedback in advance :)

ehab

• 4 months later...

Same here. Basically speech wont get recognized. I have tried reinstalling sapi, tte, agent and agents, but to no avail. Programs using those functions (dragon, viavoice, language dictionaries) cant find sapi. Since I do not plan to go back to the standard xp installation, any feedback would be more than welcome

• 1 year later...
Same here. Basically speech wont get recognized. I have tried reinstalling sapi, tte, agent and agents, but to no avail. Programs using those functions (dragon, viavoice, language dictionaries) cant find sapi. Since I do not plan to go back to the standard xp installation, any feedback would be more than welcome

:(

I have also this problem and if someone know how to enable SAPI please send me a msg.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...

i might have a way to get this to work just got to run vmware and install a full copy of windows without anything removed

im thinking the same idea as the outlook express inf trick

im also trying to get this to work

yep this worked i now have the ability to use speech

hope it works for you and have fun

btw if you run a clean install of windows without anything removed you can acess all of the inf files to install anything that is removed (at least i think so) from C:\WINDOWS\inf

you need your origonal windows source files inorder to use any of the infs

to use the inf just right click on it and click install it doesent matter where the inf is

aparently im gonna have to upload the file somewhere since for somereason i cant upload it here i guess ill do that when i wake up

the file you need is sapi5.inf it is actually also located on the install cd in a compressed cab sapi5.in_ so you can get it from their and maybe all the other infs i just realized that the infs would probbly be in the i386 folder but compressed

Edited by goofee691

• 9 months later...

Thank you, goofee691!

I was having trouble installing Microsoft Streets and Trips 2007 on my freshly nLitened laptop... turns out I removed Speech, which causes Setup to inevitably fail with a delightfully ambiguous error (to the effect of "Something went wrong, please contact your administrator"). It occurred during the "Installing Text to Speech Components" portion of Setup, so I knew something was up there. I tried locating it via Google but couldn't find any relevant Microsoft results, or anything not trying to sell something. So I went to MSFN. I extracted the INF from the original Windows CD, hit Install, and extracted all those files it was asking for. I guess in retrospect I could have just pointed it to the i386 folder. Ah well.

Now it's installing with no problems. Blam Microsoft's lacking installer options. =P

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

I am having the exact same problem.

I could find MS speech engines 4.0a and 5.1 and install them - however it did not restore the speech engine.

So, since re-install does not help, there is something wrong here:

- either the message about re-installing it any time later on, or

- nLite removing something it should not,

Or, I am trying to install the wrong stuff.

In any case, I would like to have it fixed or explained the "re-installation" process in detail.

Volatus mentioned some INF files from the original CD - care to elaborate the particulars?

Thank You.

Ok, I've done some investigation with Jim (NextUp support).

I've been told to check the SAPI5.INF file in the WINXP\INF directory.

Well, it seems that ticking the Speech in nLite does not result in Speech not being installed, rather, a blank Speech inf file is installed. The contents of the sapi5.inf file are as follows:

[Version]
Signature= "$Windows NT$"
LayoutFile=layout.inf
[DefaultInstall]

So, it's blank. Now, on to re-install:

I grabbed the following files off the original CD:

I386\SAPI.CP_
I386\SAPI.DL_
I386\SAPISVR.EX_

and extracted them to WINXP\SYSTEM32.

I grabbed the following file off the original CD:

\I386\SAPI5.IN_

and extracted it to WINXP\INF.

I right-clicked on the new SAPI5.INF file, and selected "Install" from the popup menu.

It asked for the XP install CD, so I point the installer to it.

It's finished. No restart of computer (should not be needed under XP).

I install MS 4.0a (locate SPCHAPI.EXE on the page) and 5.1 stuff again... I chose "repair" in the 5.1 (since I have tried installing it earlier).

Now it seems to work. Sam sounds a bit stupid, so I guess it's time to get some better free samples now...

• 2 months later...
Guest Bendit-like-Beckham

To get back Text-2-Speech support again in the nLited XP installation.

Insert the full XP CD in drive (not the nLlited one), then

In a cmd prompt:

expand E:\i386\sapi5.in_ C:\WINDOWS\INF\sapi5.inf

(where E: is the letter of your CD/DVD Drive and C: is the drive where XP is installed)

Then right click on C:\WINDOWS\INF\sapi5.inf and choose Install, then browse to E:\i386 when asked and press OK.

That's it. This has worked for me several times.