Metapad in xpsp2

Just curious since I upgraded to sp2 noticed my metapad/notepad replacement does not seem to install unattendly was fine in sp1? :unsure:

EDIT:

Using this to call in batch file

ECHO Installing Metapad the Windows Notepad replacement...

REN %systemdrive%\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache\notepad.exe notepad.old

COPY "%systemdrive%\INSTALL\APPLICATIONS\METAPAD\notepad.exe" "%systemdrive%\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache\" >nul

REN %systemdrive%\WINDOWS\System32\notepad.exe notepad.old

COPY "%systemdrive%\INSTALL\APPLICATIONS\METAPAD\notepad.exe" "%systemdrive%\WINDOWS\System32\" >nul

REN %systemdrive%\WINDOWS\notepad.exe notepad.old

COPY "%systemdrive%\INSTALL\APPLICATIONS\METAPAD\notepad.exe" "%systemdrive%\WINDOWS\" >nul

ECHO.

ECHO Applying Metapad 3.5 Filters...

REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\INSTALL\APPLICATIONS\METAPAD\FILTERS.reg

ECHO.

can you give a link for the program please?

Stop being lazy and do a search in google for the program.

@Maverick - I also use metapad instead of notepad and I found it much easier to replace metapad during installation itself rather than do all the crap by replacing it all over the place. Rename metapad.exe to notepad.exe, then do a makecab notepad.exe, then use modifype on notepad.exe and finally replace the original notepad.ex_ with the modified metapad/notepad in the I386 folder.

can you give a link for the program please?

Stop being lazy and do a search in google for the program.

@Maverick - I also use metapad instead of notepad and I found it much easier to replace metapad during installation itself rather than do all the crap by replacing it all over the place. Rename metapad.exe to notepad.exe, then do a makecab notepad.exe, then use modifype on notepad.exe and finally replace the original notepad.ex_ with the modified metapad/notepad in the I386 folder.

wouldn't you first use modifyPE and then cab it?

Rename metapad.exe to notepad.exe, then do a makecab notepad.exe, then use modifype on notepad.exe and finally replace the original notepad.ex_ with the modified metapad/notepad in the I386 folder.

Shouldn't this "then use modifype on notepad.exe" come before this "then do a makecab notepad.exe"?

ECHO.

ECHO Applying Metapad 3.5 Filters...

REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\INSTALL\APPLICATIONS\METAPAD\FILTERS.reg

ECHO.

Since you have renamed the file metapade.exe to notepad.exe, what purpose would be served by applying Metapad filters to "[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\metapad]"?

Also what do these filters do anyhow?

Thanks.

Just curious since I upgraded to sp2 noticed my metapad/notepad replacement does not seem to install unattendly was fine in sp1? :unsure:

Maybe the following has something to do with it:

"C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache (NB: in XP SP2 this has changed to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386)"

This is as per "http://liquidninja.com/metapad/faq.html#Q28", although I personally have not found any such folder and I have slipstreamed SP2 on my PC.

i think this is how you do it

havent tested it yet though

1. download metapad

2. put metapad.exe in a temp folder

3. rename metapad.exe to notepad.exe

4. press windows + r and type cmd

5. navigate to the directory of your .exe file and type modifype notepad.exe -c

6. dont close the cmd window yet, now type makecab.exe notepad.exe

7. put notepad.ex_ in your i386 folder

sorry for my crappy directions and i'm not 100% sure if this is how you do it right

if not, please correct me

oh yeah, you need modyfyPE for this

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/hacked_files.htm