C:\windows\system32 folder opens on every startup.

jmccord

Hello folks,

I have a question.... My Dell Dimension XPS Gen2 with Windows XP Professional is having a small annoying issue. On every boot up it opens the "C:\windows\system32 folder" .... what could be causing this? I have checked msconfig and the "Startup" folder. But nothing looks like it is prompting this folder to open. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

jmccord

Try a program called "autoruns" from sysinternals, its free and if it's it being called upon soly by a startup entry, then this program will give you the option to get rid of it. It could be called upon by another program being loaded at windows startup, and if thats the case this program will not help, just use the program and google everything thats loading at windows startup, that should tell you if what is starting with windowsis legit or not.

ChuckDog,

I downloaded the program and ran it. I saved a back up and started to uncheck things and reboot.

Now everytime I try to log in it instantly logs me out and puts me back into the login screen.

I tried to go into safemode to fix my mistake and it does the same thing there. Is there any kind of trick that you know that I can do to get back into my computer?

I also tried "Last know good configuration" and that didn't fix it either :no: .

Whoops, sorry, didn't read your reply fully. If last known good wont work you need some way of editing the registry to fix that key I talked about earlier. Theres no easy way to fix this problem. I usually delete this key on the demo computers at best buy (hehe). This is the best article I could find to help you with getting windows back up: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...B;en-us;307545&. Sorry I didn't give you a heads up on that key, I should of.

Hi imccord

This is a Dell specific problem on comps with creative audigy 2 oem. Simple fix go to msconfig/startup and uncheck /l:eng then go to start/allprograms/creative/sound blaster/audigy2/welcome message check "do not show this again" and your problem will be fixed. Also you can go to Dell support and their is a patch for this problem the # is R75304. Hope this helps Good Luck

1Bowtie and all others,

I have found out that this is a problem with the sound card driver. There is a patch on Dells website but I imagine that there is other computer manufacturers that use this same card. If you see this happening to your computer go online and find the patch like 1Bowtie said or check out creatives website. Don't do something stupid like I did.

I am now rebuilding my XPS Gen2... Don't make the same mistake. Take the extra time to research the error it will save you a lot of time down the road.

Thank you all for your help and insight it is much appreciated :thumbup ,

jmccord

Do you guys get the feeling that you are being ignored? Look at all the USA flags in this thread. I have noticed similar responses from my posts - I removed my flag as a test.

Mush of the world hates us and it SEEMS like it's reflected here as well.

Do you guys get the feeling that you are being ignored? Look at all the USA flags in this thread. I have noticed similar responses from my posts - I removed my flag as a test.

That funny you say that, it seems millions of people a day flood our boarders to gain access to the american dream. It's just envy, out of all the contry's in the world, the USA IS! the best blace to live.

That funny you say that, it seems millions of people a day flood our boarders to gain access to the american dream. It's just envy, out of all the contry's in the world, the USA IS! the best blace to live.

HUH?

with the treat of nuke or bio attack on american soil anytime by terrorist of the world. i don't think so.

dont get me wrong i hv relatives in the U.S. but the thought of a nuke going off in new york, chicago, and whatever is a scarry thought.

and for my 2 cents worth. i don't care where u are from as long as i think i hv

something to contribute i will post something.

no all post are answered in a timely manner. And remember Dell is a high end system for most other countries. Coming from a 3rd world country only the rich

can afford buying a dell.

Astalavista you are, seemingly, becoming rare - your attitude.

I enjoy sharing, helping, and learning from others around the world - and making friendships. I don't care where you are from or what political stance your country takes - as I focus on our shared interests/passions - which is my computer addiction! - rather than our differences.

If you don't hate me for what my country does, then we can be "friends" I'm sitting here in front of my computer in the middle of a forest in the country - i'm not shooting at you.

• 1 year later...

I've been having the same problem with my system32 folder popping up at startup.

I've been using Norton AntiVirus, Spybot - Search & Destroy, and Free Spyware Scanner (all highly recommended at Download.com) for a long time and have not had this problem until recently. I've run these applications over and over again after this problem started, but have not come up with anything.

I've been to the Microsoft Help & Support page for this specific problem and looked at my Registry, but have not found the "incorrect entries" that were described.

I've also used a number of registry cleaners such as TweakNow RegCleaner and CCleaner (also highly recommended at Download.com) to try cleaning the registry, but the system32 folder is still popping up at startup.

Finally, I've just tried using this program: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits...stem32opens.vbs, but after I ran it, it said:

The script cannot repair your issue. The expected Registry value was not found.

I've been to other forums and websites and I've already done most of what they've suggested. Others suggest downloading a number of other spyware removers and/or registry cleaners to try to fix this problem, but how many of those applications do I need, really?

I'm not sure what to do anymore. If anyone have any ideas, please share them with me! Thank you in advance.

That funny you say that, it seems millions of people a day flood our boarders to gain access to the american dream.

That's because they have to cross through the USA in order to get to Canada. ;)

Anyway in Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View there's an option called Restore Previous Folder Windows At Logon; this opens up whatever folders were open when you shut down. Try unchecking that.

Edited by HyperHacker