Royale Theme Almost Officially Released

prathapml

Microsoft have almost officially released the Royale Theme that appeared in the Windows Media Center Edition of WindowsXP. I say almost because a little bit of faffing about is required to install the theme manually as the installer will only allow you to install the theme properly on WindowsXP Tablet Edition.

The theme was originally leaked from one of the Windows Media Center betas and although it was widely available, many sites chose not to allow it as it was taken from a non-public beta of a Microsoft Product.

It's time to give your Tablet PC a new look. Install the Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 Energy Blue Theme Pack and see the difference. New colors, new effects and a new wallpaper will give your Tablet a fresh, updated appearance.

The theme does not require a hacked uxtheme.dll or StyleXP installed as it contains the digital signature that official Microsoft themes have, it really does suprise me that more official themes were never released - especially with Plus! which just decided to change the colours a little bit.

To manually install the package to your Windows/Resources/Themes folder and then select it from Appearance.

You can download it from: Royale Theme information

Source of info : OSNN.net

Now what the hell, is the "faffing about" (talked about above) needed to get this to work on a non-TabletPC, can anyone figure out and tell. Because it seems to want a hacked uxtheme anyways - so what's the point of calling this an official signed theme! :wacko:

EDIT:

Never mind, figured it out.

You need to extract (using winzip/winrar) the file that you download from the above link. Then, since XP home/pro won't be able to install it, you need to put the files contained inside to this folder, and in the folder-structure shown below:

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes
|
|   royale.theme
|              
\---Royale
....|   royale.msstyles
....|   shellstyle.dll
....|  
....\---Wallpaper
............\energybliss.jpg

Okay.... first looks:

It shows up as "Energy Blue" in the Themes list.

And is shown as "Royale" in the Appearances tab.

Going by hurried looks, this official release of Royale is not different from the leak earlier this year. The difference being that this one is totally legal, and obviously tested by MS.

It appears that the version that they released for Tablet PC and MCE are different from each other. The files from the Microsoft Hotfix is dated April-May, the files from the version floating around is June.

The one that Microsoft released doesn't seem to "theme" the "Common Tasks" like the MCE version does.

maybe can be made to not check for tablet ed

as this

[Prerequisite]
   condition=AndOp,Tablet.Check.Condition

[Tablet.Check.Condition]
   PresentOp = CheckCustom,,SpCustom.dll,IsTabletPC
   EqualOp = CheckCustom,,SpCustom.dll,IsTabletPC,,"==",1
   Display_String=%NOTATABLET%

is in the inf file

Don't know myself

Someone here will

Cheers

Tuxman

@tuxman

Tried that - after doing that the install doesn't occur because the INF signing is broken. No probs, figured out a manual way to do it. :)

Now let's hear what YOU (that is, everybody) thinks of this theme.

Its taken them 3 years to issue a new updated theme, how lazy, lol.

We need 4 files only from the extracted EXE. They are:

1- energybliss.jpg

2- royale.msstyles

3- royale.theme

4- shellstyle.dll

We put them here:

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Royale\Shell\Homestead\shellstyle.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Royale\Shell\Metallic\shellstyle.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Royale\Shell\NormalColor\shellstyle.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Royale\Shell\Royale\shellstyle.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Royale\royale.msstyles

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Royale\Wallpaper\energybliss.jpg

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\royale.theme

• 3 weeks later...
We put them here:

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Royale\Shell\Homestead\shellstyle.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Royale\Shell\Metallic\shellstyle.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Royale\Shell\NormalColor\shellstyle.dll

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Royale\Shell\Royale\shellstyle.dll

Old topic I know, but just came across it... mazin... whats the point of the additional folders in shell if the theme only has the one color?

and way off topic... do u also go by octavianz?

@durex (LoL good condoms brand), there is a royale installer for tablet pc. if you extract the files you'll find that the theme itself contains 4 variations, the 3 included with windows xp and royale. dunno if i explained it clearly enough :P

ok let me explain better. there was an old hack of the royale theme that came with only that style.

then m$ released an installer of the royale theme only for tabletpc but you can extract those files with winrar for example. this m$ royale comes with the old luna style (the default with xp) that means you got royale, olive, metallic and the ugly blue. because of that 4 variations you need to create 4 different folders and copy the shellstyle.dll into every1 of them.

Ah.. I guess I see what youre saying.. so since this theme is the default for the tablet pcs it also include the other normal default ones as xp does.... So then I shouldnt be seeing a difference between the other three and the windows xp default ones...

Thanks Simon.