VPN Server loses Internet connectivity

Readiosys

Hello all!

I have a problem with my VPN server.

I have set up a vpn server on my home PC and I am connecting to it from my office PC.

The routers at home and at office are the same : D-Link DI-604 and have these addresses :

Home : 192.168.1.1

Office : 192.168.0.1

Subnet : 255.255.255.0

I can connect to the VPN server from the office and it works fine but I lose the internet connection at the server.

In fact I am still connected : I can still browse pages from a browser already opened before the VPN connection but if I close it, I can't anymore access an internet web page.

I am still connected because ping works, but I see strange (most non printables) characters instead of the ip of the server

Envoi d'une requête 'ping' sur www.google.akadns.net [66.102.9.104]< here

If I reboot the server, my PC IP addresses is totally different, like it does not get it from the DHCP server from the router : 169.something while my IP address is usually 192.168.1.123 and then I can't even ping : it does not work.

It is a big problem since the only way I found to get the internet working again is to format my PC.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Your problem is your subnet mask. 192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x are two different networks that can't talk to each other without a common router. Either reset the netmask to 255.255.0.0 or place both D-Links on the same network.

Thank you for your answer...

At first, the office and home routers both had their ip address set to 192.168.0.1 but I thought it might be the problem...

Having the both routers on the same ip range unfortunaly does not change the problem...

The routers do not allow me to set a subnet of 255.255.0.0...

If you have another idea, do not hesitate...

Thanks!

I tried many times to solve this problem and it is not easy to try because everytime it fails, I have to reinstall Windows again (thanks to my unattended dvd, it is not the pain in the @$$ that it could be), which is time consuming and only allows to try twice or three times a day.

Here is what I get at the server after a client connects to the vpn:

Envoi d'une requête 'ping' sur www.google.akadns.net [4ÿ♠]avec 32 octets de données :

Please note the strange characters...

Thank you in advance to everyone for any idea.