How to silently install Yahoo Messenger 6

MachManX

Hi, this topic may already have been posted, but I searched and couldn't find it. Neway, I want to silent install Yahoo Messenger 6, but don't know the switches, or how to obtain the full version of the software. Please help, thanks!

• 2 months later...

I found a full copy of YPager v.6.0 (build 1750) HERE. It installs nicely with the /s switch and appears to be much more stable than an earlier release I had been messing with [5.6 (ymsgr_1333.exe)]. The command/switch combination used to kill YPager following the install, as noted above and in other posts, did not work for me, but tskill YPager /A run from batch did. Hope this helps. :yes:

Howdy, Asta. I don't know, I'm just putting this on my WPI list. Here's an update, however:

I tested this install routine on my heavily used production machine a few hours ago and everything went fine as described above. But when I put it on my clunky testbed machine I received a "GoCreateInstance for the MyYahoo DLL failed" error message.

The solution for a reliable install of v6, at least for me, is discussed HERE. After taking the gent's advice and silently installing msvbvm50.exe with the /Q switch FIRST, then installing Yahoo! 6, it worked fine. I must have been up-to-date on the first machine. You can get the latest Visual Basic run-time file HERE.

Maybe this msvbvm50.exe thingy can be slipstreamed into the I386 directory, if that's where it lives?

Hmm.... I don't know why you people are having so many problems with ymesg... Its simple enough, no extras needed, just standard XP/2k CD and batch-files (or WPI or whatever) is all that's required.

Straight (direct download) link to latest build of yahoo messenger 6 (this is the same one I use):

http://download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/ymsgr/ymsgr_1750.exe (4.5 MB)

Just install it with "/s" switch for silent install, that's all! (don't forget the taskkill for killing ymessenger when it starts up after the install).

Don't know what to tell you, prathapml. I don't use the app myself, but they failed on two test installs today. Has nothing to do with the switches and apparently everything to do with Yahoo! drawing a line on package sizes:

Many programs are created in Visual Basic, a programming language. They require common Visual Basic runtime files (usually DLLs) which are not always included in the download because they are shared by many programs.

Looks like Yahoo! rolled the dice and I lost, as I needed a little more DLL magic from the app. v5.6 produced a common DLL error message during the install, defeating the unattend, but v6 installed nicely on the same machine and opened with no problems. On the second machine, however, v6 installed great but produced the above DLL error when trying to access. Both machines are completely up-to-date in terms of Microsoft "critical" installs.

We all stay on top of our Java runtime installs in large part thanks to RyanVM. I see a few people keep VB runtime on their list of default installed apps, and I plan on joining them. Looks like vbrun60sp6 is out. :yes:

• 1 month later...

what file are you using?

what size?

and from where?

are you using /S install

cause i used to download the web install that downloads the full install to

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Installsi took the file from there

and it used to work

its size is:

when i use the /S with it it seems to install but at the end when launching the mesenger it crashes

i mean build 1921