How to handle Norton Ghost 9.0

3S Doc

Well I tried several things, thirst of all a search on the forum, but no luck.

Ghost has a setup.exe file and a .msi file.

The setup.exe is a installshield, and thirst of all I tried "setup.exe -R"

After the install, in my Windows folder were no setup.iss :no:

After a tip, I tried the switch "setup.exe /QB REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS"

This result in a screen from InstallShield.

In here were some parameters I can use.

I will try to translate, because my install language is Dutch.

/L Sourcelanguage-id

/S Dialogscreen hidden foruse off silent mode /S /v/qn

/V Parameters for MsiExec.exe

/UA<url to InstMsiA.exe>

/UW<url to InstMsiW.exe>

/UM<url to msi package>

After read this I thougt Hmmm it looks simpel :whistle: WRONG thougt.

I tried from the prompt on my test machine:

C:\NortonGhost\setup.exe /S /v/qn

Nothing happens

C:\NortonGhost\setup.msi /S /v/qn

Here came again a Windows Installer screen.

So is there anyone that will help me out?

Using command prompt, browse to the folder of the ghost install, and run this command:

setup.exe /A

That will create an administrative install point (AIP, it might be called server image). There onwards, you can use the .MSI file in the folder (which you will now select while making the AIP) with the switch that you previously used:

/QB REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

hmm prathapml, this doesn't the trick.....

from the prompt I made a server image via:

D:\Software\NortonGhost9\setup.exe /A

After this I have indeed a .MSI file after running this via:

"D:\Ghost_AIP\Ghost\Norton Ghost 9.0.msi" /QB REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

I get a little screen from Norton that tells me that I must run the MSI install from SETUP.EXE :}

So it doesn't works......

Any other options??

If the setup.exe is needed, then mostly that should be in that folder (D:\Ghost_AIP) too. If its not there, give it the the setup.exe that it wants! ;) (copy the setup.exe from your original installation folder to the AIP folder).

Then try again, do tell how it goes.

Nope nothing Again that dammed little screen that tells me that I must run the setup.exe.

When running the setup.exe as you sugest, I get the InstallShield screen with the

/L Sourcelanguage-id

/S Dialogscreen hidden foruse off silent mode /S /v/qn

/V Parameters for MsiExec.exe

/UA<url to InstMsiA.exe>

/UW<url to InstMsiW.exe>

/UM<url to msi package>

So will try the /S /v/qn this time

Just tried this also nothing

tried both the setup.exe and the msi file..........

• 2 weeks later...

its quite easy really. you dont have to bother running an administrative installation point etc. just run it from your batch file like this

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Norton Ghost 2003

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait "%systemdrive%\install\Applications\ghost\install\Norton Ghost.msi" /qb

it worked for me. if you wanna try it, just use the run command on the start menu using the /qb switch

I've finally gotten this sucker to work!!

I used WinINSTALL LE 2003 to edit the .msi file and remove the condition check for Setup.exe. It's listed under the Advanced, then Launch Condition tabs when you load the .msi in WinINSTALL. Just highlight and delete.

It now installs silently using the following command:

msiexec /i "Ghost9\Norton Ghost 9.0.msi" /passive /norestart

• 1 month later...
<snip>I used WinINSTALL LE 2003 to edit the .msi file and remove the condition check for Setup.exe.  It's listed under the Advanced, then Launch Condition tabs when you load the .msi in WinINSTALL.  Just highlight and delete.<snip>

I was having the same problem with trying to install Ghost from an AIP. So exactly as you posted I removed the same condition using WinINSTALL LE and it installs fine. :thumbup

As for the question regarding the Serial number a stumbling block I'm also experiencing, I've been unable to locate any presence of it. So far I have searched the Registry and any newly created files, I've also created Before and After shots of changes to my computer using RegShot, but came up with nothing. :(

The problem I was experiencing was that Norton Ghost was already installed, so I decided to remove it prior to checking whether my Silent Installation was successful before porting it over to my uA CD. However, instead of asking me to accept the License Agreement and entering my Product Key (as per the first time I installed it) my Product Key was already present on the about screen -- so uninstalling the product hadn't actually removed all traces of the program from my computer!

Can anyone else suggest a possible location where this information maybe stored or the relevant switch to pass to the .Msi file?

Thanks in advance

Cee-Kay

• 4 weeks later...

I've actually found since trying to install norton ghost and registering it myself that it doesn't use registery entries to store the product key.

It stores the product key in a file called symlcrst.dll in Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccpd-lc.

If you look at this topic ----> http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=35418, it tells you how to install it.

The only problem that may be encountered tho, is that it may be machine specific, like the internet security and the anti-virus.

But thats something that I can't test because I've only got the one computer to play about with.

• 3 weeks later...