BootSkin Skin Install from RunOnceEx...?

Powerhouse

@Astalavista

ive installed this program,, the logon studio and the iconpacker

im not sure what one of these 3 programs is doing it yet,,

but after wpi finishes,, the wincustomize folder pops up that hold the shortcuts for these programs ..

any ideals ? does this happen for anybody else ?

• 1 month later...

Could there be a little more informations about how to modify this code to fit for any custom bootscreen of our choice? I'm not familiar with WPI nor registries but I guess if I knew what to change I could adapt if for numerous different bootscreens.

In fact, here is my real question: how to easily integrate a bootskin custom bootscreen in an unattended CD? This is what I really want to know.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
Guest axlemode

@mancubus

Unlike other programs that can change the Windows XP boot screens, BootSkin does so in a safe manner. It doesn't patch the Windows XP kernel.

Yeah, that's sounds very interesting...

Until you encounter with an unability to boot after applying some fresh-new-downloaded cool bootskin. ohmy.gif

It is cured with booting in safe mode and turning back to default boot logo.

That happened with me and a lot of people, as I read in forums. sad.gif

It seems, that this tool's got a problem with SP2 (or even SP1), and there wasn't new version for a looooong time. no.gi

So, try it with a caution.

whistling.gif

you think you knew everything.

first, bootskin doesnt patch ntoskrnl

second, it uses vidstub.sys to load the bootscreen before ntoskrnl loads as a service

third, if the files are deleted e.g. vidstub.sys or the bootskin.ini is deleted, the vidstub.sys will close thus letting the ntoskrnl show on sturtup.

heres a visual

Image2.jpg\

read first before freaking out :hello::thumbup

Edited by axlemode

• 2 weeks later...

second, it uses vidstub.sys to load the bootscreen before ntoskrnl loads as a service

third, if the files are deleted e.g. vidstub.sys or the bootskin.ini is deleted, the vidstub.sys will close thus letting the ntoskrnl show on sturtup.

Where did you see that I told it DOES patch?

I know that it doesn't.

I warned people because I and my friends REALLY experienced problems after applying some of the bootscreens (not every one, actually). And since this forum filled with, let's say so, not very experienced in recovering windows people, I felt it would worth to warn about it.

Where did you see that I told it DOES patch?

I know that it doesn't.

I warned people because I and my friends REALLY experienced problems after applying some of the bootscreens (not every one, actually). And since this forum filled with, let's say so, not very experienced in recovering windows people, I felt it would worth to warn about it.

once to me but after long time of applying some of the boot screen.

It not destroyed my window , i just choosed the good setting before the problem occured.. and then i was able to boot and enter my window and after that i was unabled to use the bootscreen again until i install a refresh window again. dont know why.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I am by no means an expert here but but I think I may have figured it out so here we go!!

The process seems quite simple install Bootskin unattendedly and in RunOnceEx run two commands

The whole process is run with a bootskin.ini file which looks like this

[bootSkin]

Type=0

Name="SpaceXP"

Author="aLtgLasS"

Description="based on the Wallpaper from Microsoft Plus!"

Progressbar=pbar.bmp

ProgressBarX=258

ProgressBarY=353

ProgressBarWidth=120

Screen=SpaceXP.bmp

Step 1

"%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\BootSkin\BootSkin105.exe" /f

Step 2

"%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\spacexp.exe

(Winrar SFX Archive extracting bootscreen to "C:\Program Files\Stardock\WinCustomize\BootSkin\skins"

Step 3

SpaceXp.reg adds this to your registry and hopefully the screen will appear

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\BootScreen\Parameters]

"Enabled"=dword:00000001

"DirtyBoot"=dword:00000000

"Migrated"=dword:00000001

"INIPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Stardock\\WinCustomize\\BootSkin\\Skins\\spacexp\\BootSkin.ini"