RyanVM Windows XP SP2 Update Pack

I have three question Ryan sorry:

1. SFC_OS is modified like in we learned in this forum? if yes where is SFCSetting entry?

Correct, it's actually RaveRod's modded dll. SFCSetting is in the same place as always:

;Disables System File Protection
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SFCSetting"=dword:ffffff9d

Again, remember that I have it set to zero by default, so WFP will remain active unless that registry entry is changed.

2. I can't find MSXML 5.0 . where can i download?
It's not on Microsoft's site. It comes with Office2003. Consider it a bonus ;)
3. All files are makecabbed normally?
Yes, with the LZX:21 setting.
thanks
You're welcome :)

Great work Ryan! :)

Got one question, though:

2. I can't find MSXML 5.0 . where can i download?

It's not on Microsoft's site. It comes with Office2003. Consider it a bonus ;)

So, if we gonna install Office 2003 SP1 in full state, does it mean that we don't have to install MSXML 4.0 SP2 patch because Office2003 installs MSXML 5.0?

Thx! :)

OK, I think you're confused on a couple things. First, understand that new MSXML versions do NOT necessarily make older versions obsolete. By default, XPSP2 comes with both MSXML 2.6 and MSXML 3.0 installed. My pack adds both MSXML 4.0 SP2 and MSXML 5.0, both of which add their own features, but neither of which makes the other obsolete.

That being said, you don't need to install MSXML 4.0 SP2 if you use my pack because it's included in it :P. Hopefully you understand that the entire POINT of this pack is to make it so all of the components included in it do NOT need to be installed seperately.

Having MSXML 5.0 already installed when you install Office2003 shouldn't make any difference at all. I wouldn't worry about that.

Thank you for the quick answer :)

Yeah, that whole MSXML thing I didn't understand till now.

I thought that these versions are like any other service packs or updates, that greater version replaces minor. :D

Now I know the difference.

P.S. I incorporated your recent packs (NETFXSP1, MSXML4SP2, AdobeRead602) in my unattended XPSP2 CD...that's the reason for putting this question here :D

MS XML 5.0 is built into Office 2K3??!?!?! Sheesh, how did I miss that?

The only reason I found out was because I was poking through the registry entries and came across entries for 5 that got put in when the DLL got registered :P

P.S. I incorporated your recent packs (NETFXSP1, MSXML4SP2, AdobeRead602) in my unattended XPSP2 CD...that's the reason for putting this question here :D

Glad you're a fan of my other packs :)

Do remember to remove the msxml4sp2 installer from your unattended setup now :)

Also, make sure you get the Java Runtime Environment 5 installer from me too!

@RyanVM

I just ran across something rather intersting (to me). DOSNET.INF has sections with the same names??? I was making the mods to install your pack and noticed the comment about the first [Files] section. Did a quick look and I think the file may be inconsistent. My first secction looks like this

[Files]

d1,usetup.exe,system32\smss.exe
d1,ntdll.dll,system32\ntdll.dll

I suspect you're after the second section in mine that appears to copy everything else ((huge list of files). I'm installing from the VLK WinXP w/SP2 integrated disk. Might be subtly different cause it was built with the SP2 code tree I suspect rather than a slipstream.

Anyway, just to confirm its not the System32 section that this appears to be but the other larger [Files] section that needs mods made to it.

Incidently, anyone know what happens to DOSNET.INF after the first DOS mode stage of an install using winnt32.exe? I know DOSNET.INF doesn't end up in either $WIN_NT$ directory, but its still lingering somewhere.

It doesn't matter which [Files] section you put them in.

And I'm using the exact same disk (VLK w/ SP2 slipstreamed) as you.

EDIT: yeesh, it's like people think I didn't test this at all :rolleyes:

EDIT2: You'll be shocked to know that txtsetup.sif has multiple sections with the same name as well. It doesn't matter.

Incidently, anyone know what happens to DOSNET.INF after the first DOS mode stage of an install using winnt32.exe? I know DOSNET.INF doesn't end up in either $WIN_NT$ directory, but its still lingering somewhere.

Not used afterwards. All it does it makes sure the files go to the right "disk".

As for multiple entries in DOSNET.INF. Does NOT matter. As long as they're not in any section that has a .XX or whatever in the section name, it will get copied with EVERY other file.

I guess that's a throw back to my Win 3.1 days. Multiple sections in INI files was a bad thing. I see that and cringe..

BTW, Very slick how you did this making use of the OCM. Looking at how you did the hotfixes themselves; I wish this is what the /integrate option had done. Only issue I can see is your're going to have to hand update this for every hotfix which could get tedious. Wonder if there is anything we can do about that. Worth talking through. I don't mind helping maintain it if need be.

Incidentally, the [ProductCatalogsToInstall] section actually does something? I've played with that a few times with hotfixes and never seems to matter if I have anything in there or not. Only thing I could figure was that it provides a list of opional CATs to search through.