RyanVM Windows XP SP2 Update Pack

@RyanVM, maybe instead of giving us fish, you could teach us to fish. :)

Would it be hard to write up some instructions for integrating updates the way you do? I could help maintain a Russian version update pack if you tell me how!

I like the idea of including links to the foreign language versions. That would be a huge help.  :thumbup

I've already said at least twice in this thread how to do it.

Look, it's real simple (especially since I've already done the hard part). At this point, all you need to do is get the updated files (I use the QFE versions), makecab them, trace the registry entries added by the installer, and add those entries to the INF.

That's it. Not rocket science.

I have problems with automatic installation. Modified uxtheme and sfc_os don't do their job. So I had to install the pack manually (without these 2 files) and select tweak uxtheme and tweak file protection in nlite. Using 1.03 Full. Thanks.

I have problems with automatic installation. Modified uxtheme and sfc_os don't do their job. So I had to install the pack manually (without these 2 files) and select tweak uxtheme and tweak file protection in nlite. Using 1.03 Full. Thanks.

1.) You disabled WFP via the registry key? I state very clearly that WFP remains enabled by default with my pack. The hacked DLL just gives the user the option of changing it via the registry if they so desire.

2.) I've tested the included uxtheme.dll myself and confirmed it works. Want to send the theme you're trying to use so I can test it on my end?

3.) You realize that nLite can integrate my pack directly, right? You can add the CAB like any other hotfix to be integrated (as my directions state).

1.) You disabled WFP via the registry key? I state very clearly that WFP remains enabled by default with my pack. The hacked DLL just gives the user the option of changing it via the registry if they so desire.

2.) I've tested the included uxtheme.dll myself and confirmed it works. Want to send the theme you're trying to use so I can test it on my end?

3.) You realize that nLite can integrate my pack directly, right? You can add the CAB like any other hotfix to be integrated (as my directions state).

1) I disabled WFP via the registry key. Your sfc_os works, but I see the WFP dialog for a few seconds, and then disappears. The other way it doesn't appears, and that's what I want.

2) I've tried with a modified Luna, modified Royale and official Royale. None of them worked. Sending you the files next weekend.

3) I know this perfectly. That's why I said that "I have problems with automatic installation".

I know the situation is weird, but it's like that. I've tried twice. Gonna check again.

Hope the info helps. Great work by the way Ryan.

Thanks

1) I disabled WFP via the registry key. Your sfc_os works, but I see the WFP dialog for a few seconds, and then disappears. The other way it doesn't appears, and that's what I want.

2) I've tried with a modified Luna, modified Royale and official Royale. None of them worked. Sending you the files next weekend.

3) I know this perfectly. That's why I said that "I have problems with automatic installation".

I know the situation is weird, but it's like that. I've tried twice. Gonna check again.

Hope the info helps. Great work by the way Ryan.

Thanks

If you're having issues integrating it with nLite, the problem is on his end, not mine.

nLite doesn't use the patched files included with my pack. It ignores them when extracting the CAB file and patches them manually. Take it up with nuhi.

Ryan, I made a complete list of which updates of your pack are language dependant:

KB831240 - HighMAT CD Writing Wizard

KB834707 - Cumulative Security Update For Internet Explorer, October 2004

Microsoft Windows Script 5.6.8825 - Only wscript.hlp is language dependant.

Windows Update 5.5.3790.2182

Microsoft Remote Desktop Client 5.2.3790.0

New updates KB888240 and KB886670 are language independant B)

The Shockwave plug-in is currently English-only so could be implemented into lite pack.

I have managed now to add also Remote Desktop Client and HighMat CD Writing Wizard to the Dutch update package, so I will call the new release not lite anymore

@RyanVM, maybe instead of giving us fish, you could teach us to fish. :)

Would it be hard to write up some instructions for integrating updates the way you do? I could help maintain a Russian version update pack if you tell me how!

I like the idea of including links to the foreign language versions. That would be a huge help.  :thumbup

I've already said at least twice in this thread how to do it.

Look, it's real simple (especially since I've already done the hard part). At this point, all you need to do is get the updated files (I use the QFE versions), makecab them, trace the registry entries added by the installer, and add those entries to the INF.

That's it. Not rocket science.

Well, I'm envious that its easy for you.

I don't know to do any of what you listed, but I'm also just starting to get into this stuff now.

Ryan, I notice you didn't include updated mstsc.chm helpfile with Microsoft Remote Desktop Client 5.2.3790.0.

Please add the new file to your distribution so users who don't remove Windows Help with nLite can read it.

Ryan, I made a complete list of which updates of your pack are language dependant:

KB831240 - HighMAT CD Writing Wizard

KB834707 - Cumulative Security Update For Internet Explorer, October 2004

Microsoft Windows Script 5.6.8825 - Only wscript.hlp is language dependant.

Windows Update 5.5.3790.2182

Microsoft Remote Desktop Client 5.2.3790.0

New updates KB888240 and KB886670 are language independant B)

Great work! Thanks!
The Shockwave plug-in is currently English-only so could be implemented into lite pack.
Huh?
I have managed now to add also Remote Desktop Client and HighMat CD Writing Wizard to the Dutch update package, so I will call the new release not lite anymore
Cool.
Well, I'm envious that its easy for you.

I don't know to do any of what you listed, but I'm also just starting to get into this stuff now.

Well, if you're just getting started, why are you trying to do more advanced work? You gotta learn to crawl before you learn to walk.
Ryan, I notice you didn't include updated mstsc.chm helpfile with Microsoft Remote Desktop Client 5.2.3790.0.

Please add the new file to your distribution so users who don't remove Windows Help with nLite can read it.

Heh, oops. I'll get that added in with the next release.
Ryan , one question m8 .

will the lite pack will work on hebrew version of Windows XP Pro + SP2 ??

Thanks .

Like my website says, the Lite pack should be OK for non-English users, but I can't make any guarantees. Especially because hp38guser just told me that KB834707 is a language-dependent update.

Also, there seems to be some confusion as to what my pack is intended for. I still get people asking me if I plan to make an SP2 version of my pack :rolleyes:. I wondering if I should rename it to make it more clear that the pack for those with SP2 already integrated into their CD.

Maybe SP2.1 update pack or something? What do you guys think?

Maybe SP2.1 update pack or something? What do you guys think?

Even though I didn't run into any problems with your excellent update pack, nor did I have any confusion knowing exactly what its purpose was, I think a name change to SP2.1 would be awesome.

Well Ryan, you can call it the Post-SP2 update pack or similar, but when you name the update pack "Service Pack 2.1" people will think the pack can also be slipstreamed into original Windows XP CD or SP1.

About Shockwave, so far as I see there is not yet a translated version of the Shockwave plug-in.

Thnx, I'll PM later

:lol:, you could have just asked me to send you the English checksum info :lol:. But make sure you're using the QFE versions of the files, not the GDR versions. (I say that because the hotfix installers by default copy the GDR versions to system32, but that's only good if you're installing the hotfix from the EXE. For integrating like we're doing, the QFE version is the better one to use).

13720 is the checksum for the QFE version of extmgr.dll

EDIT: Build date is "Mon Oct 25 19:26:47 2004"