RyanVM Windows XP SP2 Update Pack

i didnt use nlite though? ah neva mind, just trying to add this pack again, see if it was a one off quirk.

EDIT:

Just got a sneaking suspicion... when i copy the text into DOSNET.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF there was an extra space after the first line of each text e.g.

d1,RVMUpPck.inf <-Space after the 'f'

d1,RVMUpPck.cab

RVMUpPck.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0 <-Space after the '0'

RVMUpPck.cab = 100,,,,,,_x,,3,3

perhaps this is what was causing it, as when i went to Add/Remove Windows Components in the Control Panel, it said can't find "rvmuppck.inf" so perhaps it was looking for that filename but with a space on the end?

very minute chance, but could it be?

I can see why Ryan gets annoyed at this...

1. MSXML 4 and MSXML 5 are DIFFERENT. MSXML 4 is not the same as MSXML 5 so both are required.

2. The new RDC is from Windows 2003 and it an update on the version from WIndows XP.

All of that has already been listed.

where was it listed? I can not find it on his page.

2nd is are there any way to replace the Remote Connection manager. On the M$ download page it is listed they it will install it seperately.

i didnt use nlite though? ah neva mind, just trying to add this pack again, see if it was a one off quirk.

EDIT:

Just got a sneaking suspicion... when i copy the text into DOSNET.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF there was an extra space after the first line of each text e.g.

d1,RVMUpPck.inf <-Space after the 'f'

d1,RVMUpPck.cab

RVMUpPck.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0 <-Space after the '0'

RVMUpPck.cab = 100,,,,,,_x,,3,3

perhaps this is what was causing it, as when i went to Add/Remove Windows Components in the Control Panel, it said can't find "rvmuppck.inf" so perhaps it was looking for that filename but with a space on the end?

very minute chance, but could it be?

I think theres no problem with update pack.. becouse the issue is of some files that comes out to be missing.. and update pack has nothing to do with them.. RVMUpPck.cab doesnt have any framedyn.dll nor the whole pack.. i think the update pack is doing its job fine, but the real problem as Sesshoumaru said, might because of nLite integration.. if i can remember... same think happened with me after using nLite.. before that everything was fine.

which is why when testing something new....what do you do? What's that you say.....try EVERYTHING at once? even if you've used the program again, it's always better to take BABY steps. lol.

The space should have no problem. If it can't find the file, it's most likely that it's not being copied in hte proper place. It doesn't look on the CD for it. So DOSNET.INF and TXTSETUP.SIF entries are irrelevant at that point (except for the txtsetup.sif line where ti tells it where to copy to, but that's just a single number)

... on the download front - HOLY HELL. I've used 5GB of bandwidth in three days and there's been a total of nearly 700 downloads between 1.0.0 and 1.0.1!!! :o

Glad to see you guys like it :P;)

If you didn't want to make something everyone would use, you shouldn't have come up with such a great pack! Can't wait for the next release! :whistle: Hopefully, soon I'll have my servers back up and running and will be able to help alieviate some of your bandwidth. Fixing to test my DVD now...will get back when I see how it does. Previous attempt produced excellent results from your pack, too bad my drivers/other software didn't do as good.

Well today I finally found the time to do something I've been meaning do for a while (still got like 999 things like that to go). I finally decompressed the latest version of the full pack, decompressed various files inside of it, and took a gander.

The experience leads me to say a couple of things:

1. If you want to get some of the "how and why" regarding Ryan's pack, by all means take a peek inside. I always knew this thing must have been a bit of work putting together, but after checking it all out, I have a newfound respect for the amount of research, time, debugging, and trial/error that really went into this.

2. You have probably been around for a while and think that you have thought of everything there is in the world. Wrong! Even those with 20 years in IT ;) have a thing or two to learn. You never know when you'll stumble upon something and :w00t: the little light bulb appears over your head.

So I say this: If you are using this pack regularly and you have not done so yet:

1.) Read this entire thread

2.) Read Ryan's upgrade pack web site

3.) Decompress the pack and inspect it's contents.

I am convinced that there would be a crapload less of the redundant questions and sloppy mistakes and we could actually have some intelligent discussion regarding the topic. My apologies in advance if this sounds a little too high and mighty for some, but nothing drives me crazy more than people who refuse to read instructions or do their own homework in the hopes of a quick answer from someone else.

I agree with RougeSpear. I've looked at the internals of the pack 2 (had to recreate my own + integrate IE hotfix).

It does take a lot of work for this sort of thing (I know, I did it for SP1). Congratulations to Ryan for being on the ball and starting this one early.

Amen from me, too!

Those of us with over twenty years experience know that there is still a lot to be learned, and nothing like a younger hand to show us!

Good work, Ryan. Now if you only would use some of that diligence in picking your baseball teams!

I dunno, I didn't really find anything new in this pack... :P

True I didn't do it, but I did already know how to manipulate the Component Manager (How do you think I install my kernels? A batch script??), and copy files via INF and all that jazz. Now the REAL trick that me and Ryan and probally others are trying to figure out is how to digitally sign it (for free, or use Microsoft's). I've been able to do as such, but the problem is, without a certificate from a root authority or figuring out a way to silently install the cerficate there with the preinstalled one or find out Microsoft's private keys (which by the way, are extremely large Prime Numbers). Other then that, I've got it figured out.

Thanks for all the nice words. Heck, I owe a few of you guys thanks for the help you guys gave me (oh wait, I did thank you guys :P).

I've got KB834707 integrated into the pack, but haven't had a chance to test it fully yet, plus I need to create a Lite version of it still. I should be able to get it out by Thursday.

On the bandwidth front, my new FTP server seems to be holding up very well, so I see no reason to change that any time in the near future (though I guess 1.0.2's impending release will be a good test of that!). A very sincere thank you to all of you who have offered me mirror space, though. It's very much appreciated :)

Lastly, I just got back from seeing Metallica & Godsmack in concert. Both were GREAT. Do go see them if you like their kind of musical stylings and they're coming to your area!

ive just tried it again with the lite version and same result, checked the iso all the relevant files are there, very strange, guess ill have to leave this out at this point.

it must be something to do with adding this update pack, this is twice now!! **** it, the pack looks awesome i want it to work :((

@paul3vanz the update pack CANNOT cause framedyn.dll errors...its impossible...are you using a clean, non-nlited source when adding ryanvm's pack...a lot of people say they didnt use nlite "this" time, but usually they used it before to remove something. Also, are you putting ALL the files from the download into i386? there are some files that get put into the i386 folder that will overwrite what is there...you cant simply drag and drop just the in_ and cab files in there...make sure youre overwriting files in your i386 folder. I may have some more suggestions, but try that first...also, install again and goto windows\inf and make sure RVMUpPk.inf is in there...if it is not there, then something is going on...also, did you make changes to sysoc.inf (sysoc.in_ is cabbed but its what is in i386) or did you copy ryanvm's over your current one? thats all i can think of.

Also, another note...what you download from ryan's server must be extracted FIRST...then take the extracted files and put them in the i386 folder...

Regarding the use of nLite with Ryan's pack.. I think that is paramount that people understand that his update pack should go first in the list of hotfixes and that you should only use nLite w/ his pack on a virgin i386 source. IMHO the best way is to take an XP source with no SP at all, integrate SP2 yourself, then use nLite.

Also, I never re-nLite something that's already been through the process once before.

Although a little advanced for some, I personally have 2 working copies of my CD. One to use nLite etc. on and the other is the one I make my modifications to.

After using nLite or this update pack or anything else, I take a snapshot of the 2 folders, compare the text files and then update my copy with the modifications (using inhouse tools). That way, I know exactally what is happening to my CD.