RyanVM Windows XP SP2 Update Pack

I see that this adds Macromedia Flash.

I have the Flash/Shockwave combo file. I am not sure of the versions. Will installing a different version of Flash later hurt anything?

Suggestion: Add Shocwave to this as well! Looks great so far! Can't wait to test it! It will definitely save everyone some time when updates start coming out every other day... :rolleyes:

also how do you tell if the the intergreation of your files has taken place

this question was answered earlier:

There's a couple of ways to verify that it's installed correctly:

1) At the T-12 stage of setup, you'll see a little window pop up with a title of "Updating Registry". That's my pack adding a couple extra registry entries that can't be added from INF files. That'll tell you that the INF executed properly.

2) To verify that the hotfixes are installed, you can do a couple things:

a) First, you can go to Windows Update. If everything is installed OK, only Windows Journal Viewer and Windows Media Player 10 will be on there.

B) Second, you can download the program "qfecheck" from Microsoft (it's also included in the full pack), and it can verify that the hotfixes installed are up to date.

c) Third, you can go into c:\windows\system32\dllcache. In there, you'll see all the files currently protected by Windows File Protection. You'll see tcpip.sys build 5.1.2600.2505 and update.sys buid 5.1.2600.2508 in there (amongst a few others). Those are the hotfixed versions.

d) Fourth, you can go into c:\windows\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}. There you'll see KB884020.cat, KB885523.cat, KB885626.cat, and scripten.cat. Those cat files were all installed by my INF file.

I see that this adds Macromedia Flash.

I have the Flash/Shockwave combo file.  I am not sure of the versions.  Will installing a different version of Flash later hurt anything?

Suggestion:  Add Shocwave to this as well!  Looks great so far!  Can't wait to test it!  It will definitely save everyone some time when updates start coming out every other day... :rolleyes:

Installing a newer version of Flash won't hurt at all. Again, all this pack does is update the version already on the CD (6.0.79.0) to the latest (7.0.19.0). I've looked into adding Shockwave as well, but that's considerably more complex than Flash and would add a lot of size to the pack. In other words, don't count on it :P.

the tcpip.sys here is "unpatched", right?
Correct
Can this pack be used in combination with Gosh's Secret Of Reducing Size Of Source?

I don't see why not. Hell, it could be used with a standard non-unattended install CD the way it's set up to run :D

@RyanVM: great job! but i have a question... i was wondering, do i still have to include both journal viewer and .net sp1 after applying your addon?

Yes. Both would be a lot more difficult to add and would increase the package size greatly (not to mention that Journal Viewer is useless for 99% of people :P).

RyanVM

in the file HotfixRegistryAdd.cmd your code for the date is wrong, it puts 0/2004 as the date this will corrent it to 10/10/04

Old

set INSTALLDATE=%DATE:~4,14%

New

set INSTALLDATE=%DATE:~0,6%%DATE:~-2%

Weird, it works fine for me here (I get a normal DD/MM/YYYY date in the registry as I'm sure every other English user gets), I wonder if different languages are affected differently. Regardless, I'll make the switch if that works the same on all versions.

EDIT: In fact, this is what I get when I use yours vs. mine:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>echo %DATE:~0,6%%DATE:~-2%
Sun 1004

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>echo %DATE:~4,14%
10/10/2004

EDIT2: Do me a favor and see if %DATE:~-10% works for you. This is what it gives me:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>echo %DATE:~-10%
10/10/2004

also how do you tell if the the intergreation of your files has taken place

this question was answered earlier:

There's a couple of ways to verify that it's installed correctly:

1) At the T-12 stage of setup, you'll see a little window pop up with a title of "Updating Registry". That's my pack adding a couple extra registry entries that can't be added from INF files. That'll tell you that the INF executed properly.

2) To verify that the hotfixes are installed, you can do a couple things:

a) First, you can go to Windows Update. If everything is installed OK, only Windows Journal Viewer and Windows Media Player 10 will be on there.

B) Second, you can download the program "qfecheck" from Microsoft (it's also included in the full pack), and it can verify that the hotfixes installed are up to date.

c) Third, you can go into c:\windows\system32\dllcache. In there, you'll see all the files currently protected by Windows File Protection. You'll see tcpip.sys build 5.1.2600.2505 and update.sys buid 5.1.2600.2508 in there (amongst a few others). Those are the hotfixed versions.

d) Fourth, you can go into c:\windows\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}. There you'll see KB884020.cat, KB885523.cat, KB885626.cat, and scripten.cat. Those cat files were all installed by my INF file.

Yeah, the easiest way is to look for the registry entries window to pop up during setup, or to run qfecheck (included in the full pack) or Windows Update.

date results on a German version of XP

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator>echo %DATE:~0,6%%DATE:~-2%

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator>echo %DATE:~4,14%

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator>echo %DATE:~-10%

date results on a German version of XP
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator>echo %DATE:~0,6%%DATE:~-2%

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator>echo %DATE:~4,14%

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator>echo %DATE:~-10%

Looks like -10 is a winner then. Hopefully we can get a few more people to confirm it for their languages. If it's confirmed, then I'll include it in the next release.

(Thankfully, it's really not a big deal since most hotfixes just leave the key blank anyway :P)

do you add them here at the top or at the bottom and do you do the same with txtsetup.sif

[Files] 
RVMUpPck.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0
RVMUpPck.cab = 100,,,,,,_x,,3,3
d1,RVMUpPck.inf <----
d1,RVMUpPck.cab <----
d1,nlite.inf
d9,1394.in_
d9,845.in_
d9,bcm4sbxp.in_
d9,cm821f.in_
d9,net1394.in_
d9,nv4_disp.in_
d9,smwdmch4.in_
d9,845.inf
d9,1394.inf
d9,bcm4sbxp.inf
d9,nv4_disp.inf
d9,smwdmch4.inf
d9,cm821f.inf
d9,net1394.inf
d1,ntdll.dll,system32\ntdll.dll
d1,RVMUpPck.inf <----
d1,RVMUpPck.cab <----

About the date I think what we need to know is if hotfixes use date template from Regional and language settings.

If so, then this code will solve the problem

FOR /F %%I IN ('DATE /T') DO SET INSTALLDATE=%%I