Change letters of HD

Evening,

I am not sure that i am on the right place.

I have 3 HD, HD 0 has 5 partions, HD 1 has 1 partion and HD 2 has 3 partion

But the letters are mixed, i explain :

HD 0 = C: K: G: H:

HD 1 = D:

HD 2 = E: I: J:

I hope you still follow me.

But i want those letters in order, i know you can do under windows, but my question is : how do you under Dos or/and under windows with unattand cd?

There are a programme who make it in order (dos) forever (i mean once time and is done) or is not possible??

What do you mean letters in order?

I mean this :

HD 0 = C: D: E: F:

HD 1 = G:

HD 2 = H: I: J:

I hope you understand better.

Thank you for your help and replay.

Irving

Hard drives lettering as far as I know is not a set thing. When you boot your computer (into dos anyways) it gives a letter to the first primary partion on the hard drive (normally c:) then it looks for the first primary partion on any secondary drive and names that d:. This continues on until you have run out of hard drives. It then goes back and names all logical drives in the same order (first recognized disk, second, so on) So your stuck with those drive letters in dos. Now if your talking about windows you can go into disk management and assign drive letters to different partitions (primary, logical, extended) just remember if you have any programs that are pointed to a certain drive and you change that drive letter those programs will either need to be reinstalled or somehow pointed to the right drive.

Hope this was of some help to you!

Also you could try using some sort of partioning software to change drive letters but that gets a little complicated. If you feel like doing this though do a google search for changing drive letters using partition magic. I'm sure that will come up with something.

Laters :hello:

Thank you very much for your help, i knew is hard to do, is better i leave this.

about under window i do every time when i do new install windows.

You have help me much, because now i am sure is very hard to or even impossible doing change letters under Dos.

Thank you

Irving

It all depends on the OS.

E.g: I use Win98 and XP both, and have 5 partitions (C, D, E, F, G). Whenever I install a new HDD, like my friend's for data transfer), If I start it in WinXP the first partition of new HD appears after the last one of mine, like H:.

It is the same as your situation in Win98, that the original D: is replaced by the NEW C:.

Win98 can not assign the drive letter. It CAN NOT BE DONE. If you using Win2000 or WinXP you can assign/ re-arrange drive letter your own (but not C: or bootable partition)

For WinXP:

Start-> control panel -> Administrative Tools -> computer management -> click on Disk Management -> right click on the partition /drive -> change drive letter or path..... That's all