[How To]: Nero 6.6.0.0

SiMoNsAyS

Introduction

Nero 6.6 supports for the first time a burning of short Lead Outs. Thus one can save up to 80 seconds when burning and has 12 Mb more storage location. A function is offered, which makes it possible to examine at the end of the combustion the medium for errors. The Tool Nero Vision Express was revised completely and is provided now in the version 3.
New version "Reloaded". First start saying that this is applied only to
Package 1

* Nero StartSmart 2

* Nero Express 6

* Nero BackItUp

* Nero SoundTrax

* Nero Image Drive

* Nero Burning ROM 6

* Nero Cover Designer

* Nero Wave Editor

* Nero Toolkit

Current version:  6.6.0.5 

Release date:  January 10th, 2005 

Filesize:  28.92 MB (30333395 bytes)

Package 2 and Package 3 probably can be silent installed with the same procedure.

We're going to start downloading Nero 6.6.0.5 version from here. Method of installation will be the same from previous versions (until nero 6.6.0.0)

Shrinking

I assume you already have installed WinRAR so rightclick the installer and unrar the file to C:\nero6605. If you want to shrink the source installation you'll need to create 0-byte files to replace unnecessary files. If you only want Nero you can replace everything, just leave the Nero folder and I think it will be down 10Mb (Untested).

Building Installer

Go to C:\nero6605 and select all files, rightclick on 1 of them and select "WinRAR>Add to archive" create a new SFX file with this comment:

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Setup=setup.exe /SN=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX /WRITE_SN /SILENT /NO_UI /NOREBOOT /NOLICENSE /NOCANCEL
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=1
Title=Nero 6.6.0.5 Ahead Software AG

Replace "XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX" with your serial number. Take a look at the attached .zip file, you'll find an icon to make your installation look more "professional", or optionally you can add a new Nero.SFX module that @totoymola built :lol:

Language Pack

It's easy to build a language pack for Nero, just download the exe file. Rightclick and select WinRAR>Extract to... In that folder delete "Setup.exe", "setup.cfg" and "Setup\" folder. Now select all files and add them to a new RAR-SFX archive. Add this comment.

;El comentario siguiente contiene secuencias de órdenes para SFX

Path=Ahead
Silent=1
Overwrite=1

In the example I'll name it NeroLang.exe.

Language Packs can be downloaded from this link on Nero Website.

Calling the Installer

From RunOnceEX

REG ADD %KEY%\028 /VE /D "Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.5" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\028 /V 1 /D "%CDROM%\Software\Nero\nero6605.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\028 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\Software\Nero\NeroLang.exe" /f

From cmdlines

ECHO Installing Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.5
start /wait %CDROM%\Software\Nero\nero6605.exe
start /wait %CDROM%\Software\Nero\NeroLang.exe

Fixing Annoying "Demo Shortcuts"

I will only left this section temporaly for people that still need it but this issue it's solved on 6.6.0.1 release.

This is only if you get those annoying "demo" shortcuts, caused by an old, un-updated serial. Until calling the installer you'll need this .reg file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Info]
"User"=""
"Company"=""
"Serial6"="XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX"

Replace the X's strings with the same serial as the used in the installer. Then simply call it before the installation so it will look like from RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY%\028 /VE /D "Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.5" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\028 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %CDROM%\Software\Nero\nero6601.reg" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\028 /V 2 /D "%CDROM%\Software\Nero\nero6601.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\028 /V 3 /D "%CDROM%\Software\Nero\NeroLang.exe" /f

From cmdlines

ECHO Installing Nero Burning Rom 6.6.0.1
REGEDIT /S %CDROM%\Software\Nero\nero.reg
start /wait %CDROM%\Software\Nero\nero6605.exe
start /wait %CDROM%\Software\Nero\NeroLang.exe

Final Notes

The installation now it's really silent. No progress bar it's shown (if you want to show it just change the rar comment to Silent=2). For me installation it's reduced 1 Mb or so, 27,9 MB (29.272.649 bytes) for installer and 7,11 MB (7.456.271 bytes) for language pack.

Changelog:
  • Some typos corrected ;)
  • Added attached file
  • 0-byte (dummy) files
  • Removed a line in the langpack section to prevent confusion
  • Solved "Demo Shortcuts"
  • Updated to Nero 6.6.0.5
  • totoymola's Nero.SFX link

SilentNero6600.zip

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

have any explanation about the "Demo" shortcuts?
You need a key compatible with v6.6 - only then you'd get a non-Demo shortcut.

Some pirated keys keep getting blocked with each new version. And some people have older keys, which are valid only for an older version - they'd need to pay an upgrade key to get a new key.

If you used the method Simon said, and have a valid key, you will see the properly named shortcut folder in Start menu.

@SiMoNsAyS

Great! We have an unattended method evolved 2 weeks before public release, lol.

(yeah, I know its the same method as for older versions, its just that 6.6 is exciting ;) )

@neotron no worries man, you're not doing nothing wrong it's just that i'm stupid :whistle:

i thought on previous versions of nero, with 6.6 you need to follow the method from the first post with Nero, Nero Media Player and NeroVision Express 3. that means 3 different installers and u can rip any1 of those components.

@prathapml yes with the updated serial, demo shortcuts aren't created, only with 6.3 version and blacklisted serials, and it's not the same method as before it's only the same commandline, if it was i didn't need to redo my nero installer and i didn't write this guide ;)

... at this moment i'm trying to shrink the installation but my headache it's against me, some news tomorrow :}

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

instead of having nero install image drive & all those other things i never use..

if i were to copy \nero 6\nero

can i just use that? it seems 2 launch everything & work .. am i wrong ? :P wonder if any1 has tried it

EDIT: cuz if i can get this 2 work.. its only like 20MB :P (which IMO is better then like 200 installed) :P

I built myself an msi file today for Nero 6.6. I used InstallShield Repackager, using the single step snapshot method. I also made a seperate msi file for the Vision half of the product. The msi file for the Nero end of the product came out to 35.5MB, which kind of surprised me a bit. I thought it would be smaller. I did test out burning to a CD-R and DVD+R and all went well. I haven't tested every conceivable function however. I will begin testing on the vision msi over the weekend.

From Nero proper I removed ImageDrive, BackItUp, Cover Designer, and SmartStart. I did leave the audio applications as they generally suit my needs. From Vision I removed the new Photo utility, Media Home, and ShowTime as I prefer Photoshop, Winamp, and PowerDVD.

After the repack for each product was done, I had to go through the generated registry info and meticulously remove all of the extraneous entries for the removed applications :wacko: . I'm going to need reading glasses for sure now. And I'll just bet ya they come out with a new version to fix some initial bugs any day now. Maybe next time I'll just run Reg Checkup to find all the invalid settings and use the resulting log file.

The changes I made to the install may not appeal to all. I always install Nero products to \Program Files\CD-R. Thats where I install all CD-R related programs. And the shortcuts are in the All Users menu under CD-R. I'm rather "type A" with my folder and start menu structures in case you couldn't tell.

I don't have any hosting space currently, but if anyone wants to host it, I'll edit the msi to remove my key code and upload. It's obviously to large to email, so requests for emailing it can't be fulfilled.