Windows hangs on boot after install.

DysfunktinaL

I just got my new Mobo and Chip, (Intel D865PERL w/ Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz, 800 Mghz FSB).

My Copy of windows is the newer version, with integrated SP2.

After I insert the install CD, format, copy install files to HDD, blah blah blah, the computer restars. After I restart It gets to the Windows XP loading screen, the scroll bar passes once, then starts a second time, gets to about 40% and stops, and hangs.. and hangs... and hangs..... and I have a sandwich.... and hangs.... you get the point.

I did a little research, and I found out that the cause may be my SATA drivers, however I have had them disabled(no luck), enabled and loaded the drivers w/ F6 before install(no luck), enabled and no drivers(no luck).

I want to go buy a baseball bat. Anyone give me a hand? Thanks in advance.

Matt

So where is the bottle-neck?

Did you do some testing?

Its possible the CD you use is bad. Or, the drive might have a spoilt lens (even though new). Or your HDD might be problematic. Or the SATA controller could be faulty. Or you might have your RAM/processor running in different frequencies - therefore creating a mis-match/slowness. Or its possible that you are just believing its slow, when in fact, that's how it IS.

And what do mean by hangs? Installation does not progress beyond that point?

Did you test with XPSP1 or win2k ?

Sorry, but you need to do something at your end as well, before asking for help.

So where is the bottle-neck?

Did you do some testing?

Its possible the CD you use is bad. Or, the drive might have a spoilt lens (even though new). Or your HDD might be problematic. Or the SATA controller could be faulty. Or you might have your RAM/processor running in different frequencies - therefore creating a mis-match/slowness. Or its possible that you are just believing its slow, when in fact, that's how it IS.

And what do mean by hangs? Installation does not progress beyond that point?

Did you test with XPSP1 or win2k ?

Sorry, but you need to do something at your end as well, before asking for help.

There isn't a bottle neck. It hung, and I walked away, and went to work. 8 hours later, still frozen.

The CD I use has been used to upgrade from 2k-XP on 3 machines, and when I did the same thing on this one, got the same error. It has been used on 1 machine as a fresh install with format.

My hardware I got from a local cyber hub for hooking them up on WoW Beta (I am a GM for WoW). I was having Hardware issues, and they took it and set it up for me.

The HDD I have is the one I been using for about 6 months now, never a problem. 160G White lable, parted into 3 drives for Root, Personal, and Server files.

I have a 3.0Ghz w/ Hyperthreading, however I only have 1 stick of ram, that is a PC3200 DDR 512. I used this same OS before my hardware upgrade, fast as hell.

As I stated before, I have 2kPro, however I want XP. 2k installs perfectly, however upgrade from 2k to XP SP2 does the same thing as a fresh XP SP2 solo install. The only non SP2 CD I have is messed up, friend's and is scratched. The Mobo is brand new Intel, same with the drivers, should not be faulty.

Thanks for the help.

at this point u should be able to boot with f8 and then give the safety mode a try.

make a bootable PE cd like with BART'sPE

finally try to install and boot with a IDE drive (maybe it is something with the SATA drive/drivers)

post ya further results...

@DysfunktinaL

Great, now there's some info on which to work. 'Coz its difficult to help when we don't know all angles of what the issue is about. :)

Its just about possible, that if your processor is a Pentium4-D based (the latest round of chips, also called prescott) processor, and a BIOS that is not updated, then a problem while installing SP2. Please see this page for details:

MS patch to fix it

Or, if that is not the cause, then try a different CD, since the CD could have got scratched after being used for some time - because nowadays CDs have become "throw-around"s for people. Or, you could once again start with a proper un-scratched XP CD, and slip-stream SP2 into it - then it should work.

About the bottle-neck, I meant (bottleneck=whatever it was, that was causing this stoppage of install).

Okay, so trying from a different CD might help - and doing a fresh (by re-formatting your C:\ drive) install might be the best option.

You know, I had a customer that had a computer that was doing the same thing you are expressing. Do you have a prescott chipset? if so, you need to get online and download an updated BIOS for you mobo. I hope this points you in the right direction :thumbup

Donno if it'll help but I had a system that had Windows 2k (no SP to SP4) and Windows XP , XPSP1 and SP2 and had a problem of sudden shut down and hag problems. It just didn't happen until I installed the Windows XP SP2 and the other ones without WindowsXP SP2 didn't make any problems.

After I checked the internal hardware stuff, it came around that one of my memory had a problem and after I removed it, the hang, sudden shutdown never happened until now. So maybe you should make a check to your system's hardware.

Kick a**, thanks. I am @ work right now, however when I get home and after school (yeah, work 10 PM - 7 AM, and school 8 AM - 1 PM, kinda sucks) I'll try updating my bios. My chip is brand new, and would be mucho kick a** if it is a prescott. Thanks for the URL. The CD is pretty brand new, it is the SP2 intergraded after all. I try to take good care of my CDs, where as the XP CD with SP1 I have is my friend's dad's, and it is all messed up. X.x

And regarding formating C to install, already did that, counting I belive 5 times or more now. Hahaha. I <3 Win XP 'Quick format' Hahahaha

Oh, and with that link, it is a 'Critical Update for Windows XP however I am running on 2000 Pro, will that make a differance if it is just a bios update? Or will I need to 'Torrent SP1 and go from there?

Thanks a bajillion guys, I'll let you know how it turns out!

I had the EXACT same problem after doing a clean install of Windows XP SP2 , I finnally broke down and called TS @ Gigabyte ......they had me go into the Bios and click LOAD FAILSAFE DEFAULT , then after clicking that , they had me click LOAD OPTIMAL SETTINGS , and my memory was correctly recongnized and windows XP installed Perfectly

3 days of troubleshooting for something that small

Rob :rolleyes: