2003 Server DNS/DHCP Problem?

jstn

Hey Guys,

I've got a 2003 PDC, DHCP, and DNS server (192.168.0.100). My laptop users are reporting that when they take their laptops home they cannot access the internet.

I also had the same problem when I brought my laptop home. The system was not using my home DNS server even though I had renewed my IP with the DHCP server at my house (192.168.0.1).

When I do an nslookup it is referencing my DNS server from the office for the lookup, but when I run ipconfig it states that the DNS server is 192.168.0.1. Even when I explicity assign a static IP to my laptop at home, it continues to use 192.168.0.100 as the DNS.

The only way I can get the laptop to not use the DNS from work at home is to remove it from the domain.

I suspect that this is a DHCP setting on my server, but I'm uncertain where to check. Or it could be a profile problem? Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

- j

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

To simplify this problem and eliminate the hassles search for either Netswitcher or Mulitnetwork Manager at www.download.com

These simple, inexpensive utilities were written to deal with the issue you are having.

There is no need for 3rd party utilities.

I bind DHCP and a static IP addresses to a single NIC all the time. In this case, two different subnets and DHCP. I plug this machine into 3 different networks and it is good to go without a single mouse click.

static-2.jpg