Processor or Motherboard

Jono

ok i bought a new 2800+ processor last night to go into my new systen i am building,

the old system was

abit an7 motherboard

amd duron 1600mhz

ati radeon 9800xt

and the fan is a volcano something or other which kept the duron at a steady 35 degrees.

so anyway i swapped out the 1600 duron and put in the 2800+ using the same cooling device which is rated upto a 3200+ and straight away the temperature warning buzzer came on so i cut the power, checked everything again yep all correct, i have some of that spray that cools stuff to minus 50 degrees to detect cooling problems so i sprayed some of that in and i could get the system to boot, i looked into the bios on voltage monitoring and the processor is getting 2v throught it and was running at 11 degrees.

so i reset all the cmos to default and tried again but no luck still the same problem, thinkinkg it could be a faulty power supply i swapped out the old one for a spare one which is brand new out of my other system and still the problem.

so guys what do you think it is the board or the processor, i have not tested the 1600 duron back in the board but i will and let you guys know.

please help :(

A socket A 2800+ at 2v. That seems a little high. I think my 2500+ stock its 1.6v or 1.65. I would go ahead and try lowering that voltage if I was you. Of course more voltage means more heat dispersion. I'd give that a try and see it it works. If not make sure you applied a thermal pad or thermal paste. (I'd try to find what stock voltage is for the 2800. I know its a little higher then the 2500, but hopefully not that much) And of course make sure your heatsink fan is working heh.

Let me know how it goes.. I'll check back in 8 hours :)

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ "Barton", 333MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor - Retail

Model# AXDA2800BOX

Item # N82E16819103377

Specifications:

Model: AMD Athlon XP 2800+

Core: Barton

Operating Frequency: 2.08GHz

FSB: 333MHz

Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K

Voltage: 1.65V <--------

Process: 0.13Micron

Socket: Socket A