Windows XP installation problem

phillyman2004

Just got done building a new machine and when i went to install Windows Xp i am having trouble

Windows Copies over the files to the harddrive .....Then :(

After Windows Reboots for the first time ....Its just freezes at the Windows XP spash screen and Harddrive activity ceases

Here is what i have tried

1) Tried a Different XP CD

2) Tried changing Drive from Master to CS

3) Disconnected CD drive after reboot

4) Reseated the Video Card

5) Reseated the Memory

6) Moved the Memory to another Slot

7) Tried a Different Video Card

8) Ran a Exhaustive Drive Fitness Test (Passed)

9) Upgraded the Bios

I think its a Memory Problem because now i am freezing right between the files being copied and the 15 second reboot warning , Also the memory that i have in the system is showing up at Dimm Speed 266mhz instead of the 400mhz that Kingston says it should be

The system specs are as follows

Gigabyte GA-8VT800-L

Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512

Western Digital 160G 8m Cache IDE

NEC Dual Layer 8X Burner

Samsung Floppy

P4 2.8A / 533FSB / 1m Cache / 478

350 PowerSupply

GeForce MX 4000 /128 AGP

I plan on going to CompUSA tommorow and buying another stick of memory , If it works i know that i need to contact Kingston for a Exchange , But just incase it DOESNT work , Anyone Else have ANY other suggestions

Rob :blink:

your psu is kinda small, im currently building a pc too, 3.0E Ghz im gonna put a 560w psu in it.. i would suggest u goto atleast 400-450w IMO

(i kinda doubt this is your problem tho)

is your xpcd modded at all?

@MCT

For what he has, 350 is enough. If he starts adding a lot of stuff to his machine then he might need to upgrade, but what he has will work fine.

@Philliman

You're probably looking at either CPU, RAM or HDD. You could try swapping out your IDE cables, too (and make sure the ones for your HDD are 80-wire. e.g. ATA66/100/133). If swapping the cable doesn't do the trick, there's some tests you can run to test your components.

Memtest86+

Ontrack DataAdvisor

One thing to keep in mind is, if Memtest comes up with errors it could be either CPU or RAM. A bad CPU can cause errors in Memtest just as easy as bad RAM, though it won't necessarily do that.

@Philliman

You're probably looking at either CPU, RAM or HDD.  You could try swapping out your IDE cables, too (and make sure the ones for your HDD are 80-wire.  e.g. ATA66/100/133).  If swapping the cable doesn't do the trick, there's some tests you can run to test your components.

One thing to keep in mind is, if Memtest comes up with errors it could be either CPU or RAM.  A bad CPU can cause errors in Memtest just as easy as bad RAM, though it won't necessarily do that.

Think that MEMTEST will show ALL Memory Problems ??? Please dont even bring up CPU problems ...UGG ......But if i ran the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and it checked every sector , could it still be the cable or Drive , i am seriously hoping its a memory problem , anyone else think it could be the CPU ?

Rob

You've either got a really bad stick of RAM or the CPU is toast. Best to swap out the RAM first, as that's the easiest to test.

Oh, FYI. Regarding the RAM running at 266. Your CPU's FSB is 533, which is 133 "quad-pumped" (133 x 4). Since your RAM is DDR (Double-Data Rate), it's running at 133 x 2 (266). 133 - though - is the actual FSB. This is probably why your RAM is running at that speed.

Edited by Jito463

@MCT - Only 1 Stick of Memory

@Jito - Any tests i can run on the CPU to rule it out , If the CPU was bad , how is Intels Return policy :} I bought the CPU off Newegg.com as a retail , and i bought the Memory off Zipzoom Fly as retail

God this sucks

Rob

About to pull my PC3200 out of my other desktop and see if i can run it on the Gigabyte computer , Can someone tell me if my systems memory can be run inside this problematic unit

Link to working memory in my other unit

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ctCode=80092-14

Link to Motherboard that needs testing

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-128-218&depa=0

Link to Memory that is currently in Probamatic Unit

https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...uctCode=80098-2