IE/photoshop conspiracy!

lynchknot

Hello, i'm having some issues that completely baffle others. I know there are some real experts here so maybe you can help me. Please!

Here is the problem I really need help with:

First of all my system is not recognizing IE

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2

Scan saved at 12:15:50 PM, on 10/3/2004

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!

Photoshop elements will not reinstall because:

issues.jpg

I have photoshop 7 working but there seems to be no PNG support (help file not working as well):

nopng.jpg

I tried to reinstall IE

love2.png

my version:

IE1.jpg

Please help if you can. Thanks.

here is a reghack you can apply to tell XP that ie is not installed.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

set IsInstalled to 0. then try reinstalling IE.

53467.jpg

I did that and still see this

love2.png

There is also this - should this be edited as well? -

\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4340}

The reg-tweak usually works. Have you tried to install your version of Photoshop at anoter Windows-pc?

And even better - on a pc that have Windows from another Windows cd? :)

You could also simply try to remove IE from

controlpanel --> add/remove programs --> add/remove Windows components (3. button at the left side), thou I cannot recommend this, without backup of everything ;)

did u restart after applying the reg tweak?

I had to - install told me to.

I just installed Photoshop CS without any problems - but the real issue is - why this?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7

Scan saved at 11:50:11 PM, on 10/5/2004

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!

OK, I presume you are running windows XP or 2003. All you have to do is to go to "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel. Then on the left hand side look for "Add/Remove Windows Components" then look through the list for internet explorer. Once you've found internet explorer, make sure that it is "unchecked", then click on apply, that should remove ie, restart your comp. When windows comes back up, redo the procedure, but this time make sure there is a check next to internet explorer, then apply. That should have uninstalled ie, then reinstalled it. Next go to windows update, and make sure IE is up-to-date. I hope this works for you. ;)

OK, I presume you are running windows XP or 2003. All you have to do is to go to "Add/Remove Programs" in the control panel. Then on the left hand side look for "Add/Remove Windows Components" then look through the list for internet explorer. Once you've found internet explorer, make sure that it is "unchecked", then click on apply, that should remove ie, restart your comp. When windows comes back up, redo the procedure, but this time make sure there is a check next to internet explorer, then apply. That should have uninstalled ie, then reinstalled it. Next go to windows update, and make sure IE is up-to-date. I hope this works for you. ;)

that doesn't uninstall/reinstall IE. that merely removes access to IE. xp need IE installed because explorer and ie are so tightly wound that if you truly uninstalled ie, explorer would cease to function.

Well, The only thing I can tell you is to get out your XP CD and to do a repair install, this will fix your problem, but make sure you have some sort of firewall, becasue you will lose all of the windows updates that you have done that are not a part of you installation cd. If you dont know how to do a repair install check this site out http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm or google it