Selective Screen-shot

prathapml

Everybody knows that pressing the "Print Screen" key will take a screen-shot of whatever your screen is displaying at the time. But what do you do when you want to only take a shot of the currently active window?

Do an Alt+Print Screen

That way, only the currently active window will be imaged and copied to clip-board. After that, you can do whatever you'd like to, as normally. Paste to Paint, MS Word, IrfanView, PhotoShop, or whatever....

Basically... make the title bar of whichever window that you want to take a picture of.

Then hold down the "Alt" key, and press the "Prt Scrn" key - and then paste into whatever imaging application you want.

Again, not a new tip, but its nice to have it listed down - so that we can ourselves search for it years later (when its forgotten), or for newbies to read and learn.

A lot of people use a program called SnagIt. I use one called Gadwin PrintScreen, which has nearly as many features as SnagIt, but it free. With one touch of print screen button, it captures screen to clipboard and can also save as file with auto incrementing name. Can capture whole screen, window, or rectangular region you select. Output can be about any format like bitmap, jpeg, etc. All in all a very useful program...and free!

download from here....http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I take pleasure in not having to use 3rd party software to do what I want.

MS-paint is anyway the cure-all - as far as basic editing/chopping is concerned.

Good for people who do not do many screen shots. I do a lot of documentation with hundreds of screen prints. So a little time saved on each one really adds up.