remote desktop connection won't log in auto

graysky

I'm using the built-in Windows XP Pro remote desktop connection util to control a PC on my LAN. I entered the username/pass I wish to use in the connection.RDP file, along with other settings for the remote session, yet after the terminal connects to the remote machine, I am prompted with the familiar, "Log On to Windows" prompt. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

In the past, (before the reinstall of windows), it didn't ask me for the username/password; t would just connect and use the name/pass I provided in the RDP file.

Thanks!

I know this sounds stupid, however

1. Do you have Remote desk enabled on the PC your connecting to?

2. If you are using your WAN to connect, do you have the port forwarded to the correct Local IP?

3. If your using Local IP, are you sure you have the right client IP?

4. Did you put the info into the program itself, or open up the file in a txt and edit it manualy?

5. Username right? (I know alot of times my problem is Windows defaults the username to whatever you are on at the time, at the machine you are on)

I use XP Pro to connect to my Server 2003 Ent. via remote desktop for a game server, these are just a few of the things I have run across as I go.

Also, if your using the version that comes with adminpak.exe from the Windows site, try the one under 'Communications' in the 'Accessories' folder on the start menu, and if you are using that, try the adminpak.exe from the Win site (Win XP Pro only). Hope this helps.

I know this sounds stupid, however

1. Do you have Remote desk enabled on the PC your connecting to?

2. If you are using your WAN to connect, do you have the port forwarded to the correct Local IP?

3. If your using Local IP, are you sure you have the right client IP?

4. Did you put the info into the program itself, or open up the file in a txt and edit it manualy?

5. Username right? (I know alot of times my problem is Windows defaults the username to whatever you are on at the time, at the machine you are on)

I use XP Pro to connect to my Server 2003 Ent. via remote desktop for a game server, these are just a few of the things I have run across as I go.

Also, if your using the version that comes with adminpak.exe from the Windows site, try the one under 'Communications' in the 'Accessories' folder on the start menu, and if you are using that, try the adminpak.exe from the Win site (Win XP Pro only). Hope this helps.

1. Yes

2. It's behind the router so just my LAN

3. Yes

4. In the program and saved a profile

5. Yes

I'll look into adminpak.exe as you suggested... is it a different version of the software or...?

I'll look into adminpak.exe as you suggested... is it a different version of the software or...?

Yeah, it is basicly the same thing. I like it better, a little more streamlined. It is best used for multiple servers you use via remote. It allows you to have many connections at the same time in 1 program.

Also, I notice that every once in a while when I change IPs, I need to disable remote desktop, then restart, then re-enable it. Also make sure you have any firewalls off. Particularly if you are running SP2 with automatic firewall.

Hope that helps.

Set the following Registrykey

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon

DontDisplayLastUsername to 0

on the remote Client.

You are the man... that did the trick:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

(Missing the CurrentVersion but I figured it out :)

Thanks again!

...anyone know why or how that key would have gotten changed? This is the first time I have ever seen this happen and have done countless installs of XP.