which folders can I safely delete from i386?

it should be noted that if you delete winntupg folder, you can not install the recovery console...most people dont delete this folder either, but its needed for the same thing and that folder is compdata...though I dunno if you can delete that folder and windows will install still.

You can delete COMPDATA folder safely. Windows XP installs perfectly fine without it.

As for the recovery console:

1. I run it straight off the multi-boot CD.

2. I don't want clients to install the recovery console, since they mess up from there.

So winntupg is unhesitatingly removed. :D

• 1 year later...

I don't want to make a new post so:

regarding those folders

1- WIN9XMIG

2 -WIN9XUPG

3- WINNTUPG

what If I only need the reinstall/upgrade option for already installed windows xp only? i.e I don't bother about Me/98 crappy veriosn!

so correct if I am wrong, I should safely remove ONLY 2 folder which are :

WIN9XMIG

WIN9XUPG

while the WINNTUPG is responisble only for Reinstalling/Upgraing only XP windowses

thanx kelsen

you always bin a great help and support! :P:)

I'll test my ISO without that folder and see what option does Windows Setup Offer, then I'll test it again after I add the winntupg folder and see also what options which I expect to offer me the Reinstall/Upgare Existing Windows XP

Edited by Wesmosis

Oops!

I didn't get any option for Reinstalling/Upgraging the windows ! Setup only offered me 3 options

although I hv the WINNTUPG & COMPDATA

1- To use the folder and delete the existing Windows installation in it press L

2- To use a different folder press ESC

3- To quit Setup press F3

Edited by Wesmosis

• 5 years later...
Guest Attended

Hi,

I didn't want to start a new thread :)

May I ask what exactly the "LANG" folder is used for?

If I only delete this folder and not: WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG and WINNTUPG is it still possible to use the cd as an upgrade from former windows versions?

\i386\LANG contains the localized files needed to install language support for regional languages that are available after install, like East-Asian language support. They're not full MUI files, but are needed if you enable the IME language support available out-of-the-box in Regional settings in the control panel. If you don't need any of these other than the language your OS installs with by default, you can whack this folder.

Guest Attended

Thanks Kelsen and Cluberti, it's crystal clear now for me :)

With this information i can get rid of a lot of unneeded MB's on my xp cd so i can integrate about everything i need without making it a dvd, xp should always be on a cd is my opinion :)