Clean XP install

janism

Can anyone help? I inherited a PC recently and I have bought XP home to install on it. I want to do a clean install so I went into set-up to change the PC to boot from the CD drive but it is asking for a password. The person who gave me the PC doesn't know this password. Is there way around this? Also initially I just ran the CD and tried to install it over the OS that was there. This means that I have used my product key. Do I need to contact Microsoft in order to re-install using the same product key?

Thanks for any help provided.

If you mean that BIOS setup asks for a pasword, then the solution is quite simple.

Open computer chassis, and find a jumber that clears you bios setting, reverting them to default (no password). This jumber is close to battery found on any motherboard. You better read motherboard's manual to find that jumber.

If you cannot, then simply remove that battery for a few seconds (10-20). That will clean BIOS CMOS memory, also reverting settings to defaults.

I hope it helps

Can anyone help?
Please refrain from such sentences.
Prune pointless queries

Resist the temptation to request for help with semantically-null questions like “Can anyone help me?” or “Is there an answer?” First: if you've written your problem description halfway competently, such tacked-on questions are at best superfluous. Second: because they are superfluous, people find them annoying — and are likely to return logically impeccable but dismissive answers like “Yes, you can be helped” and “No, there is no help for you.”

In general, asking yes-or-no questions is a good thing to avoid unless you want a yes-or-no answer.

Reading this page might be a good idea - http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePolla...no-answers.html

If you mean that BIOS setup asks for a pasword, then the solution is quite simple.

Open computer chassis, and find a jumber that clears you bios setting, reverting them to default (no password). This jumber is close to battery found on any motherboard. You better read motherboard's manual to find that jumber.

If you cannot, then simply remove that battery for a few seconds (10-20). That will clean BIOS CMOS memory, also reverting settings to defaults.

I hope it helps

10-20 seconds does nothing... Take it out for AT LEAST 15 minutes, then pop it back in and see what happens! ;) Worked like a charm, for me! ;)