Windows Media Player 10 Unattended

hiphopconnect

Well, tested unnatended on vmware works fine here :}

Will have to test changes to this line of code for otrer environments:

ECHO RunProgram="setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /NoMigrate /DisallowSystemRestore">>config.txt

Use the swichs from first post. PM me for further develop on this issue.

I just finished similar WMC package and found every time I run it, gave me different size result... So isn't only you, maybe a bug somewere. :unsure:

Are there any successful? You crahak?

I'm still using my 4.4mb bigger winrar sfx... It works fine and was ridiculously easy and fast to do (just a few mouse clicks, no scripts or such things...) It's never had issues either.

I'll perhaps change it the day I need to squeeze out another 4mb of free space out of my DVD ;)

[edit] Just in case you want to try it... You need to have WinRAR installed first on your PC (if you haven't tried it before, chances are you'll be addicted to it soon)

Once you got that, there's the couple steps:

-Right click on mp10setup.exe, and select "Extract to mp10setup\"

-go in that newly created folder, press ctrl-a to select all files, right click anywhere on the files, select "Add to archive ..."

-Select Best in compression method

-Check "Create SFX Archive"

-Click on the advanced tab, then "SFX Options..." button

-In "Run after extraction", paste the command line (setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /NoMigrate /DisallowSystemRestore)

-Click on "Modes" tab

-Check "Unpack to temporary folder", "Silent mode" to "Hide All" and finally "Overwrite mode" to "Overwrite all files"

-Click "ok" twice

That's it. So basically, extract files, create archive, best compression, sfx, add command line, tell it to extract to temp folder, all silent and to overwrite files. Takes under a minute if you know your way around the (simple) WinRAR gui.

It should work no matter what language. Expected file size around 13Mb. I yet have to see the install fail. *knock on wood*

Odd. It's never glitched for me... No idea what could even possibly go wrong here.

As for the WMC, if everything works without using the msi (if the components still get registered, the add/remove infos are there and all) then it's definately a nice way. I had thought about a admin install, but I couldn't remember the switch, and I wasn't sure if it would work, so I tried to modify the msi file instead - which didn't go over well. (I noticed u added /DisallowSystemRestore as in my previous post hehehe) I'll try making a WinRAR sfx that way right now (I'd use 7zip, but sometimes I'm lazy... and the extra couple MB aren't that much of an issue on a DVD)

Great work :) Looks like we finally got a real unattended WMC without enabling the system restore.

I'm still using my 4.4mb bigger winrar sfx... It works fine and was ridiculously easy and fast to do (just a few mouse clicks, no scripts or such things...) It's never had issues either.

I'll perhaps change it the day I need to squeeze out another 4mb of free space out of my DVD ;)

[edit] Just in case you want to try it... You need to have WinRAR installed first on your PC (if you haven't tried it before, chances are you'll be addicted to it soon)

Once you got that, there's the couple steps:

-Right click on mp10setup.exe, and select "Extract to mp10setup\"

-go in that newly created folder, press ctrl-a to select all files, right click anywhere on the files, select "Add to archive ..."

-Select Best in compression method

-Check "Create SFX Archive"

-Click on the advanced tab, then "SFX Options..." button

-In "Run after extraction", paste the command line (setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /NoMigrate /DisallowSystemRestore)

-Click on "Modes" tab

-Check "Unpack to temporary folder", "Silent mode" to "Hide All" and finally "Overwrite mode" to "Overwrite all files"

-Click "ok" twice

That's it. So basically, extract files, create archive, best compression, sfx, add command line, tell it to extract to temp folder, all silent and to overwrite files. Takes under a minute if you know your way around the (simple) WinRAR gui.

It should work no matter what language. Expected file size around 13Mb. I yet have to see the install fail. *knock on wood*

it works but...file size is bigger than original mp10setup.exe of 1mb.

i'd like to shrink the file...to a small size.... :blushing:

is it possible to integrate media player 10 to the Unattended windows xp i386?

Should be... There is a .inf file, a .cat file, WMP9 standalone package contents are knew and should be replaced with WMP10 contents... Hey! :w00t:You can do it! :thumbup

Is there any switch that I should add to see the installation progress? I'm using this

start /wait MP10Setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore"

and it doesn't show anything

It seems everyone here is using the following:

start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\WMP10\mp10setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore"

How come I am using this:

start /wait %systemdrive%\Install\WMP10\mp10setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore /Q:A /R:N"

What does the extra '/Q:A /R:' do?

Did it place the icon in the Quick Launch bar immediately, or did you have to run the program first and then go through the setup?

In my experience it does not place the Icon in Quick Launch Toolbar. It is only when you run the program and go thru the setup that it places the icon in the Quick Launch Toolbar. In my case since I use the foillowing registry tweaks:

;-----  Media Player Stuff
;-----
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsMediaPlayer]
"GroupPrivacyAcceptance"=dword:00000001

;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"AcceptedPrivacyStatement"=dword:00000001
"FirstRun"=dword:00000000
;-----

;-----  Enable DVD in Media Player
;-----  Value: Yes or No
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\Settings]
"EnableDVDUI"="Yes"
;-----

;-----  Set Windows Media Player MP3 Encoding Bitrates
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Settings\MP3Encoding]
"LowRate"=dword:0001f400
"MediumRate"=dword:0002ee00
"MediumHighRate"=dword:0003e800
"HighRate"=dword:0004e200
;-----

there is no setup process so I end up with no Icon in the Quick Launch Toolbar, although I would like it to be there.

Well, tested unnatended on vmware works fine here :}

It does not work for me at all. I have tried it in a real unattend install via 'svcpack' but nothing I just ended up with Media PLayer 9 installed. Funny thing is Windows Media Connect installed properly which also I had put in 'svcpack'. I thought Windows Media Connect required Media Player 10 to already be installed, strange.

By the way I even tried just running the file in Windows and still no luck. For some reason when you run the 'wmcsetup7.exe' it just starts with the extracting process, and then nothing... it just dissapears. I have retried the whole process several times but with no luck. I then used the winrar.sfx method as suggested by 'GreenMachine' and it works perfectly. Only problem is the size of the file being about 4mb bigger. Since I really don't have the extra space on my CD it is kinda useless for me unless I sacrifice something else. Thus I would really like to be able to make Nilfred's method work. Any ideas, how?

For some reason when you run the 'wmcsetup7.exe' it just starts with the extracting process, and then nothing... it just dissapears. [cut] Thus I would really like to be able to make Nilfred's method work. Any ideas, how?

'wmcsetup7.exe' stand for 'Windows Media Connect Setup 7-zip Method' so there are several possibilities:

• You have a typo.
  • You are off-topic.
  • You've the wrong installer.
  • There is something wrong between your keyboard and your chair.

BTW you also have a PM from me.