Windows Media Player 10 Unattended

hiphopconnect

:thumbup heres the switches need to have a unattended install:

For unattended installation with no UI and no restart or restart prompt:

We recommend using the following command line for most redistribution scenarios.

MP10Setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /P:#e"

This is the standard command line that should usually be used to perform an unattended setup. This is the recommended default command line to use for most redistribution scenarios.

To prevent media library migration:

MP10Setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /NoMigrate /P:#e"

To cache the installation package for later Windows upgrade migration:

MP10Setup.exe /q:A /R:N /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /P:#e"

The /P:#e parameter specifies that the Windows Media Player installation package should be cached during Windows Media Player setup. This command is used to handle future upgrades of the operating system. This command should only be omitted by corporate IT administrators.

The only case where /P:#e should not be included on the command line is when you own the target system and know that the target system will never be upgraded to a later operating system. For example, if you are installing Windows Media Player 9 Series on Windows 2000 and the computer may someday be upgraded to Windows XP, you must use /P:#e on the command line. Otherwise, after the Windows XP installation, the Windows Media Player files will be overwritten with the files for Windows Media Player for Windows XP.

Note that the /P:#e parameter is not required for Windows Media Player 10 setup.

To create a nested system restore point:

/NestedRestore

Use this if your application creates a system restore point to nest the Windows Media Player restore point within your application restore point.

To disallow the creation of a system restore point:

/DisallowSystemRestore

This flag will disable the creation of a system restore point. Under most circumstances this flag should not be used with general software redistribution scenarios. This should be used only when you can make an explicit choice on behalf of the end user not to support the rollback of the Windows Media Player files to an earlier version of the Player. This flag should be used only in a corporate deployment or original equipment manufacturer (OEM) installation scenario.

If they'd only come up with msiexec and the MSI schema a few years prior, we might not have a need for this forum.
Then its good that they did not. :lol:

Just FYI, MSI installers have been used by MS since late 1999 (office 2000). MSFN forum was started 2 years after that! So this forum did not come up in response to silent installations - that and MSI has been around for longer. There's been a lot more than silent installations alone, in this forum. :)

I have Win XP SP2 and it installs WMP9. Is there a way to prevent it from installing?

I just wanna add the command line provided by hiphopconnect to my batch file for intalling WMP10 without WMP9 being there.

is there some string to add to winnt.sif for WMP10 like the windows messenger one msmsgs=off???

Tks

Are there any issues that may arise with doing the WMPOCM=off ????

Just curious.... If not, I will add it to my next SP2 DVD....

Also, I installed WMP10 this morning silently. Is there a command line option in order to put the QuickStart icon in the QuickStart menu immediately after install like the prompted version does?

Yeah, there is.

[Components]
   WMPOCM=off

I may not have understood it correctly myself, but:

WMPOCM = Off - Specifies whether to install visible entry points to Windows Media Player.

i.e it isn't 'not installed', just simply the normal methods of access to it removed.

The same also goes also for,

IEAccess, OEAccess, WMAccess

Is this correct then or not?

Also, I installed WMP10 this morning silently. Is there a command line option in order to put the QuickStart icon in the QuickStart menu immediately after install like the prompted version does?

dcromwell, dude i installed with this command line:

start /wait MP10Setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore"

and it placed a quick lunch icon.

prathapml, in dummy language that means that wmp9 will be there... just no links and stuff for acessing it?

Yeah, if you set WMPOCM=off, it will be there, just no links and stuff for acessing it. You can even manually run "wmplayer" and get WMP!

But if you install WMP10, or an update/hotfix to WMP9, the access-turn-off of WMP will not be valid anymore - the update will bring back the shortcuts to WMP.