Firefox Extensions

Diabolical82

crahak -

My option.

hmm I didn't feel that I did attack you or make any thing personal. I took issue with your wording of your feelings towards AutoIt.

I stated my findings, nothing more nothing less...for me your method is broken unless a time buffer is put in place and short paths are used in the syntax.

I also stated that I know it works for some, but doesn't for others. All of them using proper syntax. If it was only my self exprincing this I wouldn't be stating its broken, I would have figured that I was simply doing things wrong some how...but I checked repeatively, and spoke to others about it, hence my comments.

As for a AutoIt script hanging...normally if not allways its just a matter of getting the script to a point where it can pick up the ball and move on...and as for the orginal issue with the hang...well that deals directly with the lack of experince of the coder of the script and would be reflected just as well else where in thier unattended install, AutoIt or not.

As for quiting...hehe well lets just leave it at the fact I've had my fair share of flame wars over opposing opinions...and I'm tired of it....I stated my facts as I know them...you then made it personal...so for me bowing out is just simply avoiding what I know is coming...I simply have to much on my plate right now to go round and round about stuff on some forum.

In the end its my call, and well I elect not to contrib to the forum any more.

SiMoNsAyS -

hmm its also ones personal pref to contrib or not. ;)

This is not about being shown up...matter fact...I still don't see that as the case...I stand by my findings. It works for some...and doesnt' for others.

Diabolical82 -

Well I guess low end would now be:

Athlon XP 2800+

512mb PC2700

700gigs+ ATA 7200rpm

ATI 9500 Pro

(all other spec's not required)

Frankly I find that over kill for running a batch file. Actually an old 486 33mhz would do fine. ;)

I don't know why you guys have to make such a simple thing so complex (especially AutoIt that could go very wrong)...

"%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -install-global-extension "%CDROM%\install\firefox addons\xpi\whatever.xpi"

works fine for me, or use something like

for %%i in *.xpi do "%programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -install-global-extension "%CDROM%\install\firefox addons\xpi\%%i.xpi"

or something similar (with proper paths). Nothing to copy, nothing fancy. It works on every plugin I've tried. Want to add/remove plugins? Just toss them with the others... It just doesn't get simpler than that.

crahak's method is on this first page, anyway I'll quote what he post

But I changed it according to my need.

for %%i in *.xpi do "%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -install-global-extension "%DVDROM%\Applications\Firefox\xpi\%%i.xpi"

@drthawhizkid you're welcome, it's really nothing at all...

@Nologic (if you're still reading this)

Yes, it is about AutoIt, but not feelings. Things DO happen to go wrong with it every now and then. As for the hang, it's not a coder experience issue (I code for a living...) but a CloneCD isntaller glitch in this case that caused it (unless you can write a script that can handle all unexpected errors that never occured before). I just came across another one that needs and extra tab *sometimes* (not on all PCs) go figure... I find AutoIt nice so you can automate things that are sometimes a mess to repack, and it can select every options you want in the setup (most unattended methods install with default options only). But AutoIt errors do happen.

As for my syntax, I don't know why you still say it's broken. You're the first and only report I get of it not working. It's worked very reliably on my home PCs, my friends' PCs and even PCs at work. (No delay required or implemented in any way whatsoever either - and I use long file names all the time) I just can't see it as "broken" (close to 100 PCs now and no errors yet, on 2K Pro and XP Pro mostly, just about any hw config, and no probs encountered yet)

As for the leaving, well, I understand your position. It's your decision and something I cannot do a thing about. Sorry to see you go away, hopefully things get better for you...

I have had experience with NOLOGIC before. We worked together to create an AUTOIT script that would install extentions and plugins and such. When I say we worked together, I mean I created an initial script, then he disasembled it and created a script 10 thousand times better than the original I had created. In the script he made he actually shared credit with me which I thought was really cool since I hadn't really done too much.

The reason he may not like the way things are done in the command line as suggested here is that his script COMPLETELY customizes the installation to be the exact way that he wants it, which just can't be done in the command line.

Personally I do not have nearly as many customizations as he does, so I may consider giving this method a try. :)

I was also curious, this method:

for %%i in *.xpi do "%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -install-global-extension "%DVDROM%\Applications\Firefox\xpi\%%i.xpi"

will it install all the extentions in the XPI folder? I don't have much experience with programming in DOS and using variables, but I have experience in C++.

It seems that the FOR loop cycles through everything in the XPI folder that has *.xpi, and then calls the install global extention, and proceeds to install it.

Is this correct? Before I go and try something other than my AUTOIT script which works, but takes a while, I would like to make sure that I understand what this command is doing.

will it install all the extentions in the XPI folder?  I don't have much experience with programming in DOS and using variables, but I have experience in C++. 

It seems that the FOR loop cycles through everything in the XPI folder that has *.xpi, and then calls the install global extention, and proceeds to install it. 

Is this correct?  Before I go and try something other than my AUTOIT script which works, but takes a while, I would like to make sure that I understand what this command is doing.

Yes, that's exactly what it does. Find them and let firefox install them the way they should be (firefox does the installing)

@Diabolical82

Honestly, I don't know. I don't like RunOnceEx (it couldn't do what my main install script does anyways) but I'd try putting these command lines in a .bat or .cmd and starting that batch from it? (I'm a GUIRunOnce fan)

The one i'm using, you know long grey square box with listing of apps. Dunno maybe it's simple syntax mistake I'm not sure anyway.

that's what mine look like

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /VE /D "Installing Firefox 1.0PR" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /V 1 /D "%DVDROM%\Applications\Firefox\Setup.exe -ms -ira" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /V 2 /D  "for %%i in *.xpi do "%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -install-global-extension "%DVDROM%\Applications\Firefox\xpi\%%i.xpi"/f

See anything wrong with it?

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /VE /D "Installing Firefox 1.0PR" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /V 1 /D "%DVDROM%\Applications\Firefox\Setup.exe -ms -ira" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /V 2 /D  "for %%i in *.xpi do "%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -install-global-extension "%DVDROM%\Applications\Firefox\xpi\%%i.xpi"/f

See anything wrong with it?

Why not just save this as a batch file and call the batch file from RunOnceEx?

crahak:

Yes, that's exactly what it does. Find them and let firefox install them the way they should be (firefox does the installing)

Awesome! I personally prefer this method since it will most likely stay the same reguardless of upgrades to Firefox (even if some of the extentions no longer will work, the method can stay the same)