clean install

seperatist

I have not had opportunity to try this on my WinXP installation yet but it certainly works for Win9x.

Backup both the Windows and Program Files folders and then rename both folders to anything simple you wish to use then do your install. It will basically be "clean" except no format necessary.

The only thing I can imagine going wrong would be WinXP setup continuing to make use of the Windows folder even after being renamed. If that happens you would have to delete or otherwise hide the folder from setup.

This problem you encounter is exactly why I place my Windows installation on a partition separate from my data.

As long as you have enough room left over on your primary partition for the windows install+mp3s. You'd have to (prior to install) create a new partition larger than the size of your mp3s, then move the mp3s to that partition. Then, you'd reinstall windows (formatting the primary partition, where windows is, but your mp3s aren't). After that, move the mp3s back to the primary partition using windows, and then delete the mp3 partition.