winxp corp install

jimbo

How big is your hard disc? XP Home, Pro, 2000, etc can not create a FAT32 Partition bigger than 32GB [as far as I know], i have a 40GB Hard disc and it only gave me the choice of NTFS.. but on a smaller drive [less than 32GB], it gave me the following choices:

Format the Partition with NTFS (Quick)

Format the Partition with FAT (quick)

Format the Partition with NTFS

Format the Partition with FAT

Hope this helps you a bit,

Roland :)

I think there is a limit on drive size for FAT32, I think it a drive is too big you have to go with NTFS because its the only option, the workaround is to partition your drive with a smaller partition for the OS and the rest can be assigned to whatever you want to install on it.

Hope this helps, I will look up the limits and post them later.

Thanks

HM

• 2 weeks later...

Win XP does indeed support Fat 32 in drives larger than 32 G. However you must format the drive without using the Win XP setup disk. You can use an old Win 98 boot disk to format it and it will work just fine.

I have used a Maxtor 40G 7200rpm and other large drives with Fat32 many times as i like the extra speed you get with Fat32 as compared to NTFS. My disk performance is around 15% better with Fat32, however MS recommends NTFS for XP because of security and reliability factors.

hope that helps,

Philip