kTool (just another software selector)

kenedy

• 1 month later...

A little question about *.ini files and ktool

I see in the documentation file something like this

[MSI Test]
MSI = file.msi" /qb REBOOT=Suppress
MSI = Microsoft Virtual PC 2004.msi" /qb

Can someone explain why there is only ONE double quote ? Where is the second one ?

P.S.: Thanks ! this tool is exactly what I need !!!

• 3 weeks later...
@kennedy I am the developer of WPI and if you are still around to read this there has been developed a way for WPI to use kTools I want to include kTools in WPI but I feel that I should ask you first.

Ha. That's funny. I was just about to modify my WPI to make it use the KTools progress bar.

edit: Nevermind. I just checked the WPI forum. It seems as though someone has already done it. Sweet. That makes it easier for me.

Edited by Dumpy Dooby

Hi,

Attached should be a modified (from v1.1a) version of ktool script, to compile with AutoIt. Also included in the archive is a sample ini file (only the [config] section of it is relevant to these modifications).

Improvement that I felt necessary in my case:

1- A 'Replace' option in the [Config] section of the .ini file

It's a bit like the 'Append' option but the provided value ('CD' works as well as with Append) will replace all instances of the '%KTREP%' substring INSIDE a Run/RunWait/DOS/MSI/REG/WaitProcess/WinWaitClose command string (although I can't see any use for the 2 last ones).

This allow for more flexibility (see .ini example provided) than just the 'Append' option. It could even replace it (but both can be used right now).

Also, using this, WPI would be able to make a better use of ktool, not just using the RunWait command.

2- A 'ListTitle' option in the [Config] section of the .ini file

If provided, it will replace the titles of the GUI and progress windows. Useful to identify successive runs of ktool.

3- in Func GUI (), I replaced all (5) 'GUIRead' function calls by 'GUICtrlRead' calls to have compatibility with latest AutiIt compiler versions (3 something and beta).

If ktool developpers find it useful, please feel free to integrate those little extras. My 0.3 cents.

Also, but not adressed in this file, I found somewhat inconsistent the way ktool deals with " (dble quotes) in commands: it add BOTH of it arround file names in REG command, only ONE at the beginning of file names in MSI command (so you have to put the last one after your file name), and none in other commands.

I feel that it should leave it to the user to add it or not. And also state this in the manual so you don't have to look to the source/log-file-in-temp to see how ktool deals with those quotes.

That's All, Folks!

[Edit] I've posted an even more improved version of kTool further in the thread.

kTool_modified.zip

Edited by Djé

• 3 weeks later...

arjanv,

The .au3 file can be modified with notepad but there are better editors...you must compile the .au3 with AutoIt. Free download here:

AutoIt Website

Once installed, you should be able to right-click on .au3 and click Compile.

There are editors included with AutoIt and I highly recommend getting the SciTe Editor (available in downloads section, don't forget patch). SciTe installs a small utility (ScriptWriter) to Record Windows, Keystrokes, Mouse Clicks for those uncooporative silent installs or build some complex script easily. It also has a built in tool to Build/Modify GUIs and a whole host of other functions.

Hope this helps.

Edited by lawrenca

hi thanks for your explaination.

after compile it I'm getting this error

Line 0 (File"C:\ktool\v1.1a.exe"):

$tItem = GUIRead ( $ListAvailable )

$tItem = ^ ERROR

Error: Unknown function name.

Any ideas?

Thanks

@arjanv

read my post a bit earlier in the thread about geting around this. Item #3.

hi,

sorry! my fault.

now it works.

is it possible to make the ktool window bigger of can it run in full screen?

@arjanv

read my post a bit earlier in the thread about geting around this. Item #3.

hi,

sorry! my fault.

now it works.

is it possible to make the ktool window bigger of can it run in full screen?

everything works fine now

Thank you all