XML in WinPE

Michael_W

Well glad that I can contribute to the cause. :thumbup

What I’m trying to accomplish is to transfer my *.ini files to XML format, so they can be used to configure the deployment process. We want to use a combination of VBS, HTA, WMI (With WINPE 2.0) and XML. And now we can :w00t:

Actually it’s a strait forward process to determine the dll files needed for XML processing. First we experimented with XML and discovered the “Microsoft.XMLDOM” object. This object can be traced back to the msxml3.dll file. This is the file you need to use XML in WinPE. But that’s not all!!. The msxml3.dll file has two sidekicks (aka resources) that you also need to include in your PE build, msxml3a.dll and msxml3r.dll. Just put them into your System32 directory and register the msxml3.dll file. Here’s a small step by step:

• Copy msxml3.dll, msxml3a.dll and msxml3r.dll from you original XP distribution media (Use the same servicepack level as your PE distribution!!) to the System32 directory of WinPE.

• Edit your OC2.bat file to include the following:

• regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\msxml3.dll /s

And that’s really it. If you want to know more about the “Microsoft.XMLDOM” object then I would recommend the following site: http://www.w3schools.com/. It’s really created to aid web developers, but it’s really easy to make it work in VBS.

Hope you can make use of this information

Have fun,

Regards,

Michael Waterman

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do not know how to write XML but do wish to make use of it. I simply want to have a small form that allows me write to the unattend.txt to change the following settings...Name, Company, Workgroup...is this even physically possible or am I just dreaming...

I can already see a problem in that we are not able to write to the DVD (which obviously has my unattend.txt file) so I am guessing I will have to use the ram drive method (great...something else I need to figure out how to work...) ...Any ideas guys?

• 2 weeks later...