USBEHCI.sys is missing or corrupt.

jpatto

tyson, if you install xp, then install sp2 it will work fine. for some reason the a**holes at dell decided to screw us over for any future service packs. i think all avenues have been tried and there is no resolution for this problem. maybe you could call up dell and ask for an xp cd that already has sp2 slipstreamed.

hi

i think the solution is to remove the reference to the usbehci.sys file!

i know, that's not the ultimate solution, and i also don't exactly know how to do it, but maybe somebody can help me work it out??

here is what i found out:

the reference file for the text-based installation of windows is called txtsetup.sif and is located in the i386 folder

i have scanned through the file before adding sp 2 (i also don't have sp1) and there is no reference to the usbehci file, but after adding sp 2 there are some entrys for this file...

i just don't know what to remove exactly, maybe somebody with more knowledge about the syntax etc can help??

hmmm cannot help you guys anymore, the problem just solved itself

this is what i've done:

deleted the whole thing from my hd

copied all the files again

slipstreamed sp2

(generated an unattended install-file)

created an iso file with nlite

tested in vmware - installation works fine

did you use a dell oem windows xp pro cd? if so, what is the P/N at the bottom of the cd? i use P/N 1R594. it doesn't allow me to slipstream SP 2. i have to delete out the hotfixes that were done. then after i slipstream, and try to install, we get the usbehci.sys error.

nope, have no dell cd i'm sorry. but you should try to scan through txtsetup.sif for usbehci and delete all lines where that filename is in.

you don't really need the usbehci driver for the text-based part of the setup, except you use an usb 2.0 drive (cdrom or hd)

i cannot guarantee that, though and i don't know if it works... but it should.

btw the problem doesn't seem to be the dell cd, because i did not use one and the error occured anyway. also i did not delete any patches etc before slipstreaming sp2.

I tried that - removed references from the txtsetup.sif file. I also did a search for any file containing usbehci.sys and deleted that reference too. On both occasions it gave me the error "usbohi.sys is corrupt". Guess that doesnt work either.

Setup does not see usbehci.sys if it is in lowercase. It will complain that it is missing or corrupt. I had this problem some time back and simply renaming the file to uppercase fixes it. Do not ask me why, it just does.

I tried that before, i changed the file name from usbehci.sl_ to USBEHCI.SL_ and i received the error message "usbehci.sys cannot be found" - is this what your referring to or do i have to extract the file (so it becomes USBEHCI.SYS) first then place it in the i386 directory?

Thanks

this is actually with any oem cd. they stuck hotfixes in there and that is throwing this process off. i have called dell numerous times asking for an xp sp2 cd only to be told to buy one.

therefore i have vowed never to buy anything from dell, or even associated with them. dell = satan of computer industry. from now on, i will build all my computers. and the laptops i buy will come from ibm.

hooah

• 2 months later...

After making some time for myself i finally tried the instructions to the link i pointed out in anothers thread with the same problem......

All you have to do is copy the NTKRNLMP.EXE from a system that already has SP2 (or i think this can be copied from the sp2 disk/ download but i wasnt sure how to extract or expand NTKRNLMP.PDB.EXE) into your i386 folder (after you have slipstreamed it) - when asked to override select yes. The version of the NTKRNLMP.EXE that shoudl be in i386 is 5.1.2600.2180. Burn it and that should be it!!!!!!!!!!!!