SUS Installer for Windows XP & 2000 Released.

NextWish

Software Update Services, is an amazing application but it's restricted so it can only be installed on server operating systems.

SUS actually works perfectly fine on Windows XP and Windows 2000 Professional (As long as you are running aleast Service Pack 2), the restriction actually exists in the MSI installer.

I have written a patcher which removes this restriction, allowing SUS to be installed on any Windows XP Professional / Windows 2000 Professional (SP2+) workstation.

From day to day, I work as an onsite tech and I have SUS installed on a laptop.

Armed with my SUS Utility and laptop, this allows me to have a roaming copy of Windows Update which I can use to update workstations which dont have internet connectivity.

http://www.nextwish.org/geek.php?page=suspatcher

Software Update Services, is an amazing application but it's restricted so it can only be installed on server operating systems.

SUS actually works perfectly fine on Windows XP and Windows 2000 Professional (As long as you are running aleast Service Pack 2), the restriction actually exists in the MSI installer.

I have written a patcher which removes this restriction, allowing SUS to be installed on any Windows XP Professional / Windows 2000 Professional (SP2+) workstation.

http://www.nextwish.org/geek.php?page=suspatcher

Feedback is more than welcome.

Hey NextWish I tried this tool on a Win XP machine with SP2 on it as well as on a W2K machine with SP4 and it didn't work on both of them.

Couldn't you give me an idea?? It always says it can't open the PatchedSUSSetup.msi but I don't see it at all.

I suppose the problem might be in either the msi2xml.exe, the sed.cmd or the xml2msi.exe but most probably the problem is in the msi2xml.exe

Hey NextWish I tried this tool on a Win XP machine with SP2 on it as well as on a W2K machine with SP4 and it didn't work on both of them.

Couldn't you give me an idea?? It always says it can't open the PatchedSUSSetup.msi but I don't see it at all.

I suppose the problem might be in either the msi2xml.exe, the sed.cmd or the xml2msi.exe but most probably the problem is in the msi2xml.exe

Do you have ICQ / MSN etc?

MSN: webmaster@nextwish.org

I'd be interested in going through and finding out whats going on.

I have tested the patcher on Windows 2000 SP4 (via vmware) and Windows XP Pro.

What directory are you installing to, does the directory contain spaces etc?

Try installing to C:\SUSInstall ; does that work? etc.

I think I found the problem,

I've rolled a new version, grab it from here

Let me know if that fixes your problems.

Sorry I didn't answer your offer for live-support but as I'm working right now I am not allowed to lurk around the I-Net all the time. And anyway I couldn't have made anything with MSN or ICQ because they are blocked by our Firewall.

I gotta say it works just fine for me now. I'm really curious what the problem was.

Well thanks for fixing the problem so quickly. Could it have been because I use a multilingual XP and a german w2k version?

Sry should have edited the other post :blushing: ...