Sonic Foundry Vegas Video 4 Switch?

a06lp

I can't extract the exe... when I right click, I don't get the option to extract (I have winRAR, and I gte the option when it's possible).

Also, I check the registry for my Key, and in all the Vegas folders, but apparently the registration isnt there?(!!)

ahh, forgot about the different extraction process... :blushing:

Just took a look at the installer to remind me... and this what you need to do:

Start the install, you will be prompted to enter a folder where it'll extract the install files too... after extraction you can cancel the installation and your files will be in the folder you specified...

:)

I kept all the files and didn't try slimming it... the extracted files are roughly the same size as the exe installer anyway so i wasn't too concerned.

Alltho, I just took a look at the files and 2 of them look familier:

InstMsi-x86a.exe

InstMsi-x86w.exe

Those file names are similar to the ones you can remove from other install packages (instmsia.exe and instmsiw.exe) if installing on XP, so removing those might work, that'll save a bit of space anyway (just over 3MB in total), but other than that I'm not too sure.

Regards :)

I wrote to the company in hopes of a reply, but look at this:

Thanks for writing.  In order to do a silent install of Vegas 4.0, you will need to put quotation marks around the default install path text followed by a space, then a dash, then a lowercase q ("C:\Documents and Settings\...Sonic Foundry\Vegas4.0.exe" -q).  Once you open the program for the first time, you will still need to enter your serial number and register your product.  This is because activation codes are different on each system where the application is installed.  They also change each time you make changes to your hard drive.  There is no registration key that will allow you to install and automatically register the product across multiple systems or reconfigurations.  To learn more about registration, visit our site at:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/registration/faq.asp

1) I haven't tried this swtich yet, but if anyone does, let me know if it works.

"\...\Vegas4.0.exe" -q

2) I guess that settles the registration issue. It is similar to the problem everyone has with Norton Antivirus - it is DEFINITLY machine specific. :(

1) Ahh, I didn't know about that switch before, so out of curiosity i just had to try it :blink: -- but i couldn't get it to work :whistle: ... but anyway, if it did work it would probably leave the temp MSI installer files on the drive just like after manually installing the program, which is something worth avoiding -- I can't see any reason to have the install files permanently on the drive, so extracting it like i said and running the MSI file directly suits me fine, it cuts out the middle man and saves needing to cleanup after installing it.

2) Yup, unfortunately that explains that one then :( oh well, can't have everything our way i spose.

Regards :hello: