Hibernate cannot be activated

bushidou

I got a strange problem. My WinXP Pro does not allow me to activate hibernate; I get this error message:

The diaglog-box heading:

Powerpolitics could not reserve hibernate-file
The message:
The process could not get access to the file, because it is used by another process

(I have translated the error message from danish to english, as most of you dosen't speak danish ;) )

I know from previous XP installations that if hibernate is enabled from the start (fresh XP installation with slipsteamet SP1) there is no problem. But now XP is full updated, programs are installed, and now Hibernation cannot be activated.

Any ideas?

ehenrik

You could check if there's enough free space available on your C:\ drive.

Because, (for example) if you have 2 GB of RAM, then you need to have 2.5 GB of free space on the disk (plus the swap space).

Also, there's random problems with hibernation on PCs with 1 GB or higher of RAM. If that is so in your case, then remove one or two modules of RAM (to have left only 512 MB in the system). Then test if your hibernation is getting enabled and working well. If it works fine with 512 MB (or lesser) memory, then you know that this is a known problem with large memory and nothing else.

My PC only got 512 Mb ram, and there is 6.5 Gb free space om c:\

So I went to pthomas suggestion but I found out that there is no hiberfil.sys file which seems reasonable, since I have not run Hibernation yet on this XP installation (installation is only 4 days old).

I guess it's not a common problem so maybe it will be hard to find a solution. :(

Also make sure and check that "show hidden files and folders" and "show protected operating system files" are checked in folder options or the file won;t be shown.

Also make sure that on the security properties that the "system" has full control as well.

Paul

The SRINT SPOOLER thing didn't work out for me. I have newer heard of it and it seems oddly to me that the computers access to a printer should block the Hibernation funktion... :blink:

Of cause I can't argue if things worked out for others with the same problem, but I have tried to stop LOTS of services, trying to find the sinner, with no luck.

:no:

• 10 months later...

I have exactly the same problem on a new installation of XP SP2. I tried the spooler theory but that didn't work, nor did the safemode one. I do however have 1gb RAM, but it seems strange as hibernate was working on my last installation with the same hardware. The only difference is that i'm using a different unattended cd, same version of XP, so i'll just have to check what changes i made to the setup.

i had a hibernate problem as well. But that was after anlited install.

Turns out the problem was because of some graphics driver. Don't ask me whats the relation between hibernate and graphic drivers , coz i am still confused by that.

So try reinstalling your video card drivers(even if its onboard), that just might work.

Maybe a silly question, but have you checked if hibernate is enabled in the power options?? hiberfil.sys will only show if hibernate is enabled.

This whole problem starts when you try and activate hibernation, it pops up a message saying "Process cant access the file because it is use by another process" - be nice if it would tell us which processes.....