WPI_2.7_Final by the Brain & Gresh

What is the best way with WPI to do the following:

I want to have 3 choices for Office 2003 Install:

1. Office 2003 (Word Excel PowerPoint Outlook)

2. Office 2003 (Word Excel PowerPoint)

3. Office 2003 (Word Excel)

I have already made my transforms, and have winrar a self extracting exe that can handle all 3 transforms. I assume I would run cmd1 my winrar self extracting which is around 102mb and extracts 253mb to C:\Support\Applications\Office2003

Then cmd2 for option 1 would run a cmd file that would run the setup.exe and the correct transform file.

How can I setup wpi so that if choice 1 is picked then choice 2 and 3 are greyed out?

Dennis

I don't got what this really do?
var installByCategory=true;

Can u explain shortly?

I want that for each category separate RunOnceEx window created. Is it for that?

not really. programs are just grouped by cat[pn], not by ordr[pn] in the install process. installation still happens in chunks of appsPerInstallWindow. categories are sorted alphabetically. so first all apps with cat[pn]='A', then 'B' then ..

NO WINDOW PER CATEGORY FUNCTIONALITY. (perhaps in one of the next versions)

How can I setup wpi so that if choice 1 is picked then choice 2 and 3 are greyed out?

Hi Dennis.

This can't be done by now. Sorry. It would make more sense, to have each option a seperate prog and just choose one of them for install. BTW - why rar it ? Why not use different names for the transforms-files ?

prog[pn]=['Microsoft Office 2003 (Word Excel PowerPoint Outlook)']
cmd1[pn]=['%CDROM%\\Install\\MicrosoftOffice\\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=WEPO.MST /qb-']
pn++

prog[pn]=['Microsoft Office 2003 (Word Excel PowerPoint)']
cmd1[pn]=['%CDROM%\\Install\\MicrosoftOffice\\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=WEP.MST /qb-']
pn++

prog[pn]=['Microsoft Office 2003 (Word Excel)']
cmd1[pn]=['%CDROM%\\Install\\MicrosoftOffice\\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=WE.MST /qb-']
pn++

hasi,

I think we were on the same track, this is how I am trying it now:

prog[pn]=['Microsoft Office 2003 (Word Excel PowerPoint Outlook)']
desc[pn]=['Installs Microsoft Word Excel PowerPoint Outlook.']
cmd1[pn]=['C:\\Support\\Applications\\Office2003\\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-']
dflt[pn]=['no']
cat[pn]=['Microsoft Office (Select one choice only)']
pn++

prog[pn]=['Microsoft Office 2003 (Word Excel PowerPoint)']
desc[pn]=['Installs Microsoft Word Excel PowerPoint']
cmd1[pn]=['C:\\Support\\Applications\\Office2003\\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=WordExcelPowerPoint.MST /qb-']
dflt[pn]=['no']
pn++

prog[pn]=['Microsoft Office 2003 (Word Excel)']
desc[pn]=['Installs Microsoft Word Excel']
cmd1[pn]=['C:\\Support\\Applications\\Office2003\\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=WordExcel.MST /qb-']
dflt[pn]=['no']
pn++

prog[pn]=['Microsoft Office 2003 (Word)']
desc[pn]=['Installs Microsoft Word']
cmd1[pn]=['C:\\Support\\Applications\\Office2003\\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Word.MST /qb-']
dflt[pn]=['no']
pn++

The reason for raring it, is because it is 252mb, but when I winrar it then it is only 100mb. A huge savings in size. This way I can fit more apps on the CD. I also want to extract to the hard drive because if someone chooses to install word and excel and then needs powerpoint later the source is already on the hard drive. So going to add remove programs they can add or remove features for office. I used a shrink utility to take 690mb of office after slip streaming down to 252mb, then down to 100mb when compressing it in winrar.

Dennis

@buzzman

Please understand the following:

the number of Apps displayed in one column is computed. for that, i use the sum of category-headlines and previous apps. for each resolution, the calculation changes. each application has its height, and each headline does. if the sum + heoght of the 'current' app won't fit, then there's a 'column break'.

If you put <br>'s into your program definitions, the app's height changes, but i still use the same calculation as i'd use for a single-line app. so the column grows too big - and there's your problem.

Sure i could recode the rendering. but that's a hard job to do for a 'single user change request'. It'll take some time ... right now I'm working on the 'installation order' bugs, which I can't really recreate on my WPI !?!

@Dennis

Ok. Understood. There was a media called CD some time ago...

No, don't be offended. I'm burning DVDs. Plenty of space there ...

And yes ... Office's too big. Which shrinker did you use ?

One last thing. Wouldn't it be better to not use C: but %systemdrive% instead. It's an environment variable, so you could use it in your unrar-cmd as well. There are situations, where C: is not the systemdrive (e.g. 2 partitions, win2k on first and XP installed to second). Correct me, if I'm wrong.

hasi,

Yeah I too am burning DVD, but have found that on most PCs that I need to rebuild for friends, family etc that they do not have a DVD Reader. CD is a safer bet for me. I will eventually make both, DVD for when I can use it and CDs for the rest. Plus even on DVD, its nice to keep applications small.

For shrinking I used this program

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=16709

It is not very good and knowing exactly what files are safe to get rid of, so what I did was make a special MST just for this program. I knew at the most I would want word, excel, powerpoint and outlook so I made an MST that installed all 4 apps with every option checked. This way the shrinker read that mst and grabbed all those files. The actual mst in use are just the default options for each app. This way the source files copied to my C drive can handle any changes.

Since I made my winrar exe using C:\ as the extract to path I did the same in the config file. But very good point. I will remake the winrar to use %systemdrive% and do the same for config.

Dennis

Hmmm, well I tried to use %SystemDrive% in winrar but it does not support it. If I do not want to specify a drive letter then my choices are only current folder or program files.

Dennis

huh... i hv been using %systemdrive% and %systemroot% w/ winrar and it works.

when I tried it the absolute path stayed greyed out and the choice was on program files or I could change it to current folder. I am doing this in the sfx options area. I assume that if it works for you then even if you have program files checked if you use %variable% then that overides this?

Dennis

Hasi can u tell me how can I set a command that will execute anyways and will not be displayed as checkbox and name?

And one more thing - can I set command to run when exit is pressed? (for example restart PC on exit)

I have a problem with my wpi. It was working fine until about 10 minutes ago. My computer was restarted and now everytime I try to open run it I get debug mode. I checked useroption file and it says debug=false. I tried downloading a new copy and I still get debug mode. I have no idea what to do now so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you