WPI_2.7_Final by the Brain & Gresh

@LaptoniC

I found the error. Had to do with constraint checking (... which no one but myself needs).

The thing should function with Version 2.9.2

Also new:

Searching for cdrom: look for a file WIN51 in all cdroms. If not found descend the current folder tree down till WIN51 is found. If still not found then take the Registry's SourcePath-Value.

wpi_hasi001_2.9.2.zip

Also new:

Searching for cdrom: look for a file WIN51 in all cdroms. If not found descend the current folder tree down till WIN51 is found. If still not found then take the Registry's SourcePath-Value.

huh?

The cdrom issue. An explanation.

Recently a friend of mine bought a preinstalled notebook and wanted me to istnall some apps from my unattended XP cd. He just didn't want to install the whole thing anew.

Problem was, that his Registry's SourcePath-Value was "C:\WINDOWS" - which is not an cdrom of course.

So I had to find another way to determine the CDROM. As for an unattended XP-install CD there's always a file called "WIN51" in the cd's root directory. So now I do the following:

cddrv = ""

Enumerate all drives.

From these loop through all drives of type cdrom and get the drive letters.

For each drive letter X search the drive's root directory for a file called "WIN51"

if found, the cddrv=X:\

so it doesn't matter how many cdroms you have, as long as there's somewhere a media with the file WIN51 in its root. This media is the XP-install CD, so use it's drive letter.

if this didnt help (file WIN51 wasn't found on any cdrom drive) then (and only then)

get WPI's current folder as full path as D (this is where wpi.hta is)

while WIN51 is not found in D descend one level until D is the drives root folder

if WIN51 was found then cddrv=D (which can be a folder)

so WPI has to be at least a subdirectory of a directory which contains WIN51

eg:

|
 +---XPCD
       +--- WIN51 (file)
       +--- I386
       +--- $OEM$
              +---$1
                    +---Install
                          +---WPI
                                +--- wpi.hta
       +--- Install (the Install folder on CDROM)
             +--- Something

this is, how my XPCD preparation looks like on my harddisk.

even now if i write "%cdrom%\\Install\\Something" that Install-Folder gets found as subfolder of XPCD. Now I can test my installs with the %cdrom%-Path on my HDD. See it ?

if the file WIN51 didn't get found either way, the use the registry's SourcePath value. That's for compatibility.

hello,

I'm new to the forums (kinda have been thinking to join for a while, but was to lazy :P

I've been working on an unattended dvd with lot's of apps like office 2003, studio mx 2004, visual studio .net 2003, etc... I'm almost done, just making the wpi, testing, and maybe adding a bunch of drivers (like I found here, wich is kinda handy, but how up to date are these?).

But I have some questions related to the wpi (I'm using 2.9.2):

- how do I make it look like CyberWolf's one so that it does create one column instead of two?

- maybe change the timer so that it gives more time, or just disable it (aka infinite time :P)

- why can't I test the hta file? I can by selecting open, chose program and then chosing ie...

- for adding programs in the config.js, there is the cmd1 item; sometimes it has as value 'cdrom', '...dir to app' and sometimes it has '%cdrom%...dir to app' I used to use RunOnceEx, how do I for example use this command? "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\Office2003\PRO11.msi /qb" (of course, I'll have to add extra backslashes...

- how do I make it look like CyberWolf's one so that it does create one column instead of two?
I think the code to change is explained above, near that post.
- maybe change the timer so that it gives more time, or just disable it (aka infinite time :P)

Yes, you can set timer to OFF in config.js

- why can't I test the hta file? I can by selecting open, chose program and then chosing ie...
umm... you can. double-click wpi.hta, and it will open
- for adding programs in the config.js, there is the cmd1 item; sometimes it has as value 'cdrom', '...dir to app' and sometimes it has '%cdrom%...dir to app'  I used to use RunOnceEx, how do I for example use this command? "%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\Office2003\PRO11.msi /qb" (of course, I'll have to add extra backslashes...

if your command is:

"%systemdrive%\Install\Applications\Office2003\PRO11.msi /qb"

basically, the format is like this:

prog[pn]=['Microsoft Office Professional 2003']
desc[pn]=['Installs Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, & Microsoft Publisher.']
regb[pn]=['','']
cmd1[pn]=['systemdrive','install\\Applications\\office2003\\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-']
cmd2[pn]=['','']
cmd3[pn]=['','']
rega[pn]=['','']
dflt[pn]=['no']
forc[pn]=['false']
cat[pn]=['']

you must remember that characters like \ and " and ' need a backslash in front of them (hence the "\\").

For Sincle-column mode uncomment the numCols in config.js and set it to numCols=1.

the timer is also set to secs='60' in config.js. change that 60 to something else. note, that if you click on the timer, it stops.

the thing with cmdX[pn]=['...','...'] or cmdX[pn]=['....'] comes from the release history. in former releases you had to give cdrom, systemdrive ... as seperate parameter to the cmd. if you do a new config, then use just cmdX[pn]=['%...%\\...'] with a single value - the %...% parameter can be used anywhere in the command. see the example config.js

examples:

old style:

cmd1[pn]=['systemdrive','install\\Applications\\office2003\\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-']

is the same as

newstyle:

cmd1[pn]=['%systemdrive%\\install\\Applications\\office2003\\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-']

and with new style  you can also use the %..% parameter anywhere in the command like

cmd1[pn]=['msiexec.exe /qb /i %cdrom%\\Install\\Office2003ResourceKit\\ORK.MSI']

and even twice and/or different

cmd1[pn]=['%systemdrive%\\WINDOWS\\system32\\msiexec.exe /qb /i %cdrom%\\Install\\Office2003ResourceKit\\ORK.MSI']

so you do not have to use the old style

[EDIT]

As i see a06lp was a little faster ... ;)

Edited by hasi001

Oh, ok. Thanks a lot guys. About that 'transforms' thing, do i need it if I directly call the pro11.msi with the '/qb' command? In runonceex it works that way... :D

And about the .hta file, it doesn't want to open (seems windows doesn't recognize it) but i can open it with ie, or edit it with dreamweaver; but that with using 'open with' or first opening the program and then opening the file... Should IE be the default program for this file type? If so, I'll directly change that...